Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mr. Bush, tear down this wall!


Alas, recent photos of the border wall under construction demonstrate that it is easier to remove the splinter from your neighbor's eye [e.g. Reagan speaking to Gorbachev] than to remove the plank from one's own.
This wall is simply political posturing; 75% of all "illegal immigrants" arrived in the U.S. legally--and overstayed their visas. Pouring millions of dollars into this environmental disaster is worse than waste, it is creating destruction.

So let's congratulate El Paso (TX) County. This week their commissioners decided to sue the federal government for violating the constitutional rights of border communities and landowners--as well as federal law--in the wall construction. Citing improper negotiations and lack of consultation, the commission claims that the federal government needs to follow laws in the same manner that everyone else is required. (Now there's a novel thought!)

So, I cheer on El Paso, a David challenging Goliath, as county government tackles the feds. This is yet another prophetic stance; I sense a theme has developed this week here on Border Explorer.
To celebrate, take a break with another El Pasoan: Tom Russell, singer and songwriter, performing "Who's Gonna Build Your Wall?" with photography by David Burckhalter.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

It's a shame we can't eliminate the governments and drug dealers so the people could just live and work in peace.

eProf2 said...

Yes, the El Paso folks should be supported for the stance against this monstrous edifice to stupidity. The Tom Russell song on YouTube is wonderful. Thanks for the posting from YouTube.

Here is the famous, and almost always misquoted poem by Robert Frost on Fences:

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know What I was walling in or walling out, And to whom I was like to give offence. Something there is that doesn't love a wall, That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather He said it for himself. I see him there Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed. He moves in darkness as it seems to me~ Not of woods only and the shade of trees. He will not go behind his father's saying, And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Yes, shear stupidity!

BE, have you seen The Garcia Girls film? I've written a review over at my blog for your consideration.

Border Explorer said...

Jamie, welcome to Border Explorer and thanks for your comment. It reminds me of the lyrics to the song "From a Distance." There are no borderlines visible from space. ("From a distance there is harmony,
and it echoes through the land.
And it's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves,
it's the heart of every man (sic).")

eProf: You certainly classed up this post. Thanks a lot for adding Frost! Excellent choice.
I'm looking forward to Garcia girls. Reminds me, it's time to watch a rerun of Cowboy del Amor.

D.K. Raed said...

When we lived in San Diego, we learned first-hand about the futility and deadliness of those "walls". All they really accomplished was pushing desparate people further to the east to cross, and possibly die, in the harshest of deserts.

Sorry B.E., I hadn't read this yet when I asked you today if you had any fences that needed repairing. I should've asked if you had any that needed removing!