Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"But what if I'm in an accident???!?"

One of my regular projects for the local emergency homeless shelter these days is to organize their donation room. Yesterday I tackled the men's underware section, sorting and sizing it. I encountered these items:
I can't speak for your mom, but my mother would never forgive me if I was wearing underwear like this when the ambulance picked me up!
What are people thinking who donate items like these? Maybe something like: "Well, it's better than nothing." Or "This would be good enough for those people."
Mr. B.E. remarked, "That's not the worst I've seen. At least this underwear is clean." So as not to gross out my gentle readers, we will now draw the curtain on the ensuing underwear incident that Mr. B.E. related from his volunteering past.
So, this concludes my Andy-Rooney-grumpy-rant (sans his endearing humor). Thanks, Everyone, for listening. [Hey, this is a lot cheaper than therapy!]

7 comments:

eProf2 said...

You're welcome! Rants are good for the soul! I'm not surprised at anything anymore -- not even holey underwear.

D.K. Raed said...

One of my aunts has the same underwear sorting task for the catholic charity she volunteers for. When I asked her if she wanted my old bras for this purpose, she politely told me, "they aren't big enough". Hrumphhhh! Her kind afterthought was, "but cash is always good".

You're probably right about people thinking those holey moleys are good enough "for those people". But jeez, beyond what that sentiment implies about the giver's mentality, think what it implies about the underwear they were obviously wearing themselves up until the day they donated it. My mother would be appalled!

dada said...

OMG! I've been throwing away skivies with miles and miles and years and years of wear left in them, thinking they were too embarrassingly worn to donate to anyone.

Or maybe there's a deeper symptom uncovered in these donations. Maybe it's a sign of what's happening to middle class Americans?

Border Explorer said...

You all found good points to mention about "unmentionables." I myself have always been glad that none of my friends had Superman's x-ray vision that could see right through clothing. But when the foundation is holey beyond help, I deep-six it into the ragbag. At any rate, it was kinda fun to rant for a change about something that isn't going to kill us...like war, global warming, Bush&Co, etc. Thanks for being good sports to chime in.

enigma4ever said...

rant all you want ;-)

Love your blog- have to add you to my blogroll at Watergate Summer, if that is okay...thanks...

enigma4ever said...

btw good for you for organizing this...and caring ;-)

Border Explorer said...

Enigma, I'd be honored to be on your list. You are an amazing blogger. Thanks for your visit here and for your comments.