Sunday, June 29, 2008

Your 60 second tour of Lomas del Poleo

Sorry. This post was accidently published out-of-order. It was meant to conclude the week of 6/23/08. I've re-posted it on 6/29/08 so that it appears in the correct order:

Here is the land of Lomas del Poleo, as I filmed it in April; the camera's eye is my eye. We sneaked past the goon at the gate using a sort-of ruse.

I hid the camera. Ironically, you and I now know that the Lomas residents' lawyer--whose strategies to counter the Zaragosas (the family who claims to own Lomas) are discussed in the clip--was mysteriously assassinated this week. This event has run in the background of my mind, an undercurrent this week, as I visualize his widow and young sons at the funeral...now doomed to life without him.

The first creatures to appear in my garden were the green beans, sprouting as though by magic, bounding toward the sky. Their amazing appearance from what seemed like nowhere brought to mind the story of Jack in the Beanstalk, in which a giant robs the poor peasants who have nothing. That analogy serves well here in Lomas, giving me the vehicle to finally tell the Lomas story (6/23/08 post).

It seems like we humans are most affected by what is near enough to us to have been part of our lives or have touched us somehow (the "proximity factor"). That's why we have to keep exploring on the boundaries of our lives...to open up our experience ever wider...enlarging our hearts to allow more reality to touch us. Having read/viewed this post, you've made room in your heart for Lomas, and for this I'm grateful. Thanks for helping me process this part of our world and incorporate it into my heart.

4 comments:

DivaJood said...

The last thing this lawyer says, "You can't shut down people's life", is heartbreaking.

Border Explorer said...

Right, Diva. That comment couldn't be more ironic in light of the recent assassination. To clarify: the man in the video is the guide who offered to tour me through Lomas and show me the new border wall which is going up compliments of our federal govenment.
Thank you for walking with me through this Lomas story.

D.K. Raed said...

Your camera shows us a profoundly beautiful land with wonderful people who through no fault of their own are being shut out of all they are worked for & built up with their own hands over many years/decades. Thank you so much for this Lomas del Poleo series. I am just catching up now -- left you a longer comment on a post down below.

Border Explorer said...

D.K., I've pondered your comment several days now--the part about the Lomas land being beautiful. People with loving eyes see the beauty of this land. (But hey, come to think of it, you want to live on Mars!) Fr. Bill Morton, the priest in the video on 6/23/08, calls it beautiful, also.

To me, it looks like barren and desolate land--like that last place on earth anyone would want to live. The poor are marginalized to the deadest land...and then it's taken away from them when it unexpectedly becomes desirable (read "valuable").

But anyone's home is beautiful to them. And Lomas is located on a high mesa so it has a beautiful setting in the desert mountains. Yes, you're right that the land is beautiful. Thanks for letting me see Lomas through your loving eyes.

Also, thanks again for reading and appreciating the Lomas series, DK and Diva (and all others who exposed themselves to this painful reality.)