Thursday, August 14, 2008

Does my laptop have a right to remain silent?

The following peace of mind is brought to you by the Department of Homeland Security, border search division: Traveler, beware! (Terror alert: Red.)

PC World reports that U.S. border agents can "seize and detain indefinitely" all laptops, cell phones, portable music players or storage devices such as portable hard drives.

Unsuspecting Good-guy retorts, "I've got nothing to fear. I've never done anything illegal!"

WRONG!
The new DHS policies allow customs agents to analyze the contents of laptops without any suspicion of wrongdoing, says U.S. Senator Russ Feingold's statement.

"The policies that have been disclosed are truly alarming," Feingold wrote. It could blur the distinction between "search" and "seizure," which could also allow DHS officials to steal personal documents from laptops it has retained.
[The temperature of the vat of water on the stove in which the frog swims just went up two degrees.]


If you'd like to know how best to cope with intrusive tactics in airports (or at home) take a tip from the experts--the Muslim community in the U.S. Their video "Got Rights?" shows how to deal with the inquisition.
[Who knows? If you're reading this blog (Remember, I was busted), you may be on the fed's list]:

8 comments:

FranIAm said...

I am nauseous. Just nauseous.

And furious.

Randal Graves said...

Many people keep a LOT of personal, private stuff on their laptops, in short, their lives. It'd be like if they came into your house without a warrant and rummaged through your drawers and cabinets.

Nothing works quite like fear.

thepoetryman said...

"Got Rights" a very good video and one worth the watch. Thank you.

Fear is the mind killer.

Border Explorer said...

Right, Fran! (Tossing you a barf bag)

Exactly, Randal. To me, this is an amazing erosion of rights. How can it happen without legislation? WTF?

I appreciate your endorsement of "Got Rights?", Poetryman. "Fear's the way we die" is not just a campfire lyric anymore.

Robert Rouse said...

I suppose I'll have to learn to travel without my laptop. There's always an Internet cafe somewhere.

Mariamariacuchita said...

despite all I know about this crooked administration, this is mind-boggling. I sometimes wonder what it would take, how much hunger, deprivation, intrusion into our daily lives, for the people to start a revolution.

enigma4ever said...

Thank you for blogging on this...yikes...not good...at all..and yet does this really surprise us ? ah no....
gees I will be soooooo glad when this is over...

thank you for the vid...and the info...

( you are in my blog round up today....hope that is okay ;-)

Border Explorer said...

Robert, I see this as very bad news for a media man like yourself--well, for all of us. That's great if you can adapt. We need your documentation.

Maria, I'm worried that we're all going to boil with that frog. Where's the outrage? What can we/I do?

Enigma, keep hope alive. Yes we can. And you're a sweetie for rounding me up! Thanks so much!