Friday, August 15, 2008

Kickin'? You know it.

This week for me was Christmas and my birthday combined. Diane of Faith in Community and Randal Graves of L'ennui-Melodieux each bequeathed me the Kick Ass Blogger award. My "wowie factor" scale reads "10."


Both of these established bloggers are new friends of mine. Their generosity and kindness are apparent in their encouraging my newbie Blogger efforts with this recognition. I'm thrilled when someone reads and comments. If I get blog rolled, I squeal. This award puts me over the top, especially coming from these two. Diane integrates her spirituality into her life and blogging. I leave a better person whenever I visit her. Randal's amazing talent defies description (or at least my ability to describe.) Intelligent, succinct, witty, hilarious, creative...heck, just go see for yourself.
Sincere thanks, Diane and Randal Graves. I respect you both so much.
Readers, what are you doing here? You could be reading them!


Now I've got a job to do. Here's the fine print on the Kick Ass Blogger award:
1) Choose five other bloggers that you feel are “Kick Ass Bloggers”
2) Let them know that they have received an award.
3) Link back to both the person who awarded you and also to http://www.mammadawg.com/
4) Visit the Kick Ass Blogger Club HQ to sign Mr. Linky and leave a comment.

How to choose?? Teh internets are so filled with kick ass bloggers, it's overwhelming. No, it's wonderful. In looking for bloggers who don't already have this award, who kick ass in some ass-pect, I announce without further ado that my five winners are:


1) MariaMariaCuchita: literally a woman of the border, liberal, smart, savvy, and kind. Not repetitive, pulls no punches. Always interesting and eclectic. She's a new friend, too.


2) eProf: He's sage, thoughtful, affirming and insightful. His posts represent original thinking and critical thought from a liberal perspective. Someone once described him as "like your favorite professor" from college. If you had one like him, you were lucky.


3) Allison at Catholic Worker in Training ministers on the front lines of homelessness in LA. What an inspiration! Her occasional posts are both reflective and honest. (I especially love blogs like hers that serve up a slice of life I don't see everyday.)


4) Finding Essential Estrogen was, for me, a blessing of the ICE raid in Postville IA. Lynda, a journalist who writes for The Iowa Independent, and her team post on all things Iowan and feminist. She's an Iowan gold mine!

5) I hope Under the Overpasses accepts awards; he sure deserves them. Finding Under There recently has meant the world to me; he values the margins of society. Last on this list of 5 definitely doesn't mean least. Actually, Under the Overpasses specializes in the last, the least and and the lost: the homeless. He keeps it real.

Now, taking advantage of receiving Kick Ass from two people, I'm going to overstep a bit and nominate a 6th person for an honorary Kick Ass Award. He wouldn't post it or formally accept it. He's build a readership the hard way: by serving up Kick Ass posts day after day at Dada's Dally. Dada, my unknowing mentor, attracted me to the Blogger community and supported me through my initial posts. If I had to choose just one blog to read (a horrible dilemma to consider!), his would be The One (Mom always told me: "Go home with the one that brung ya.") He goes beyond liberal into the realm of radical. That's where I wanna be. I'm lucky to know him, his family and his editor, Sam, in real life. Thank you, Dada, for all your help.

I used to say "so many books, so little time" and now it's "blogs" that consume me. I'm grateful to anyone who spends any of their life time and energy here on Border Explorer. The blogging world is a true gift: a virtual community that opened up for me in a wonderful and unexpected way. Thanks for being part of that gift. Thanks again, Diane and Randal!

22 comments:

Mariamariacuchita said...

Wow. You are one of the blogs I stop by to read on a daily basis, ever since I noted your dedication to writing against social injustice (with heart). You are an inspiration to me. Thank you so much.

eProf2 said...

Congratulations, BE, on your latest award for blogging. I don't miss a single one of your posts as they are always insightful and thought-provoking.

Besides, I have to know when you're heading back down this way so you can buy the first round at the HighDesertBrewery, Dada's favorite watering hole.

Thanks, too, BE, for the kind words and the award designation. Since I only get to about five or six sites regularly, I used up my five potential awards with the Arte awards a month or more ago. So, if it's all right with you, I'll wear my award but not pass it on at this time.

Missy said...

Looks like I have some reading to do!

Randal Graves said...

You're far too kind with your words, and in comparison to you and others who are documenting the troubles of the world, I feel completely unworthy (cue Wayne and Garth). As missy said, I have some reading to do!

QuakerDave said...

We're here because you kick ass.

Obviously.

Robert Rouse said...

Congratulations! A more worthy blog I cannot think of. I'm always enamored of those who walk the walk in addition to the talk!

Sue J said...

Congratulations! So glad to have been introduced to your blog recently!

Keep on kickin'!

Border Explorer said...

I am verklempt. Never thought there could be too much love; I think I'm getting close to that today, tho.

Border Explorer said...

OK. I'm back--now that I patted my eyes and blew my nose, I want to say thanks again. How lucky I am to know you all.

Mariamariacuchita said...

Read this article, BE!! A great read!
Great immigration article

dada said...

B.E. - I'd be exaggerating if I said I had dry eyes. I am so very overwhelmed by such (undeserved) recognition....

But something 'I'm NOT??' I am so totally NOT surprised how you, just a few months ago, grabbed the reins and kicked the sides of this pony into full stride, never looking back (for what would there be to see but the dust of your unrelenting race into the face of a challenging future?) And you're in a fine field of thoroughbreds here, so many excellent bloggers.

I may be one of the few here - if not the only one - who has had the privilege of meeting Border Explorer personally. I can honestly say -- and Mrs. Dada concurs because we just had this conversation within the past 24 hours -- Border Explorer is a very, very *special* person.

So to all those praising her here today, know your praise is NOT misspent. I would only hope each and every one of you would have the fortune to actually meet B.E. sometime in the future. Trust me, you will only come away MORE impressed.

So (choking up, again), thank you B.E. for your special recognition. It truly means a lot.

Oh, and OK, I suppose a small anecdote might not be too out of order here:

The first time I met B.E. was during one of my rare appearances at the weekend peace vigils held here on Fridays. As we got to talking on that downtown street corner, I somewhat sheepishly confessed (almost inaudibly), "I have a small blog." Not knowing her too well, I didn't want my blog to possibly offend her sensibilities. Little did I know, B.E. has no sensibilities! (I'm just KIDDING!)

The exact opposite is true. B.E., as I came to learn, is loaded with sensibilities. That's what makes her such a compassionate and indefatigable defender of injustices wherever they exist, regardless of the perpe"traitors."

Again, thanks B.E. for allowing me to be 'the sixth man.' (Wow!, this is like Day Two of nice surprises!)

FranIAm said...

You richly deserve this and now I need to go check out some new blogs!

Under there... said...

Thank you BE. Congrats to you. You absolutely deserve the award because you absolutely kick ass! I am honored by your gracious words and feel humbled to mentioned with the other blogs you listed. I look forward to exploring them! Thanks again! Peace.

enigma4ever said...

oh dear...I got this award this week too..from Dean Wormer..and I was going to award you and Dada and Randall...I think I will now be re-evaluating my list....


You truly deserve it.....

enigma4ever said...

oh that sounded so ungracious...

Seriously your blog has been inspiring and so good to find and you bravely blog things that I have been afraid to even think about.....

and you do it with grace and dignity...

Border Explorer said...

Maria, that article explained to me why the immigration topic is as controversial and untouchable politically as abortion has been in this country. Yep. Thanks.

Border Explorer said...

Dada, Fran, Under There, Enigma & Maria, eProf, Missy, Randal, Quaker Dave, Robert, SueJ (welcome!):

Wow, I feel like I'm listening in on the conversation at my own funeral. I respect you all so much; your regard feels amazing...wonderful. Thank you so much. You are all award winners in my heart.

Diane said...

I'm late to this (it's been a hard week here), but you have chosen some great blogs which I will now have to get to know.

Border Explorer said...

Learning about new blogs is the beautiful side benefit of these award nominations, Diane. Thanks for everything and you're not late so don't worry about that. I know you've been busy in ministry...and you've got a busy personal life as well. You'll always be a blog patroness in my heart!

Allison said...

Oh goodness! I honestly had no idea anyone else read my blog besides some of my family and friends. So it's not just surprising that you even take the time to read my ramblings, but you actually enjoy/appreciate them?! Wow. Thank you so much for recognizing some girl (who doesn't really consider herself a "blogger") fumbling her way through life in LA.

Peace.
Allison

D.K. Raed said...

B.E. you do kick ass & I love reading your passionate posts. It's people like you, who speak up, that get the wheels moving. Where are we heading? Wherever you take us! Congrats!

Border Explorer said...

D.K., I'm indebted to you as a founding member of "Border Explorer" (if such a club existed!). Your comments and readership mean so much. Indeed you are yourself a real Kick Ass blogger!