Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Packerland Family Reunion Vacation

Mr. B.E.'s stepmom, 11 bros/sisters, and all descendants get together each year, often in their hometown, Green Bay, WI. Niece Ellen's family hosted this year (an historic first dip into the next generation) & pulled off a great party for all 60 of us last weekend.

There was lots of talk about Brett Favre, Green Bay Packer "quarterback no more." And how nice to have the televised Summer Olympics to enjoy! We didn't play volleyball this year, maybe cuz we're getting older.

The weekend is otherwise known as "3 days of love and food." We enjoyed a Friday night fish fry, celebrating my sr-in-law's retirement (her third, she keeps returning to work), games, talking and marshmallows around the campfire.


Youngest grandchild from Colorado was a special guest. (Recognize her daddy from Cuba caravan? Ten years later, he's married with two children.) Our other son and his wife's two nieces are in the collage above. Someday I'll share my other three grandchildren with you.



The weather was clear & comfortable. The house & yard--beautiful. The people--so nice. I married into a wonderful family: not bragging, just appreciative. Our nation's economic downturn wasn't apparent. It was a weekend vacation from my central-city, urban neighborhood into a lovely suburban home. Next year, Mr. B.E & I will team with his sister and her guy to host the deal. Awk! I'm already planning!

21 comments:

laurie said...

just popping over from "happy to be in iowa."

that breakfast looks delicious!

and i'm a wee bit sorry we didn't get favre for the vikings, just because i think it would have caused such an uproar....

Border Explorer said...

That's a huge LOL, Laurie! Green Bay would secede from the NFL before Favre would become a Viking. It'd be War! You are an instigator, aren't you? You're most welcome here!

RE the food: I think I gained 5 pounds in 3 days...a new personal record!

okjimm said...

Hey, sounds like an absolutely great trip... 60 folks! Wowsers...

..Hey, and I am sick of Favre talk too....
I am more concerned with how we can trade George Bush to anyone who will take him!

Jan said...

Great pictures! Sounds like a lot of fun!

With all the eating at family and friend events here in WA State, I am hoping I'll "only" gain 5 lb!

Mariamariacuchita said...

Isn't it wonderful to be surrounded by family that you actually like?? It is such a blessing!

Randal Graves said...

I am unfamiliar with this 'Brett Farve' person.

Come pick up your Presidential Medal of Freedom award!

Border Explorer said...

okjimm, I missed you this time but I'll be back.
Possible future Bush country: Haiti? Nah, they've suffered enough.

Jan, I could've done better given more time. G'luck with your vacation weight.

Maria, you've got that right. Are you similarly blessed?

Border Explorer said...

Randal! You've made my day, week, month and year. Seriously!

eProf2 said...

BE, glad you're home safe and sound. Gosh, it will almost be time to leave for the southwest pretty soon. LOL!

OK, so who is related to the Allen family? My mother's mother was an Allen when she was born in 1890 in Nebraska and trace their American ancestry to John Allen, brother to Ethan Allen of Green Mountain fame in the revolution.

Pretty common name for sure but you never know about these six degrees of separation moments.

FranIAm said...

Beautiful!!!!

I loved seeing these photos - just gorgeous.

Border Explorer said...

Thanks, Fran. Love to see you here.

enigma4ever said...

love this post..very beautiful...

( I saw your comment over at Sirens- thank you..I appreciate that...I also have a video "we the people" over at Watergate Summer- I dont think it posted over at Sirens...it is made by Mandt and I ...it is about homelessness...photo montage..and music you are welcome to see it ..I think you would appreciate it...)

thanks for your thoughts...love seeing your photos and hearing such nice times...
( ps I did put you in the Round Up tonight- that will post..)

Border Explorer said...

How very nice of you, Enigma, to include me in your round-up. Thanks.
Mr. B.E. & I work with agencies to assist the homeless when we're in IA, so I have a real place in my heart for the issue. I'm heading over to see your video right now...

dada said...

just curious: did your sister in law drink from
the same water or Kool-aid source as brett
favre?

Border Explorer said...

You are so sharp, Dada.
We gave her a Favre Packer shirt. On the back of it we wrote: "Let's retire. You go first!"

Border Explorer said...

Oops, eProf, I missed you! His ancestors came from Belgium. Is that any help? I'll have to ask him re. dates, but I'm sure they weren't around in colonial days.

Yolanda said...

It looks as though you had a wonderful time.

susan said...

Your blog reward from randal is well-deserved. Best wishes.

Renegade Eye said...

The writing and pictures, made a reader feel like they were there.

Thank you for visiting my blog. Aaron and Nadia visited Minneapolis before they left for Vietnam. I couldn't resist persuading them to send reports to my blog.

Border Explorer said...

Welcome, Yolanda. It was fun.

Thank you so much, Susan. Welcome. Any friend of Randals is my friend, too.

Renegade, seeing comments in Vietnamese characters/language was way cool.
I've got you bookmarked now.

D.K. Raed said...

Been meaning to tell you how much fun this looked like. It's so great when a family keeps up these traditions. You got your work cut out for hosting next year's.