Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Power to the People as Media Gives Us a Voice

The power of the people's media...yes, the power of the people's blogging...is to tell the story of reality on the ground. This video coverage was shot by a brave and articulate 17 year old teen. We ordinary people can make a difference when we use our power to connect and communicate.

And, do we really want to see our tax money support this kind of cruelty?
[If the embedding does not come up for you, I strongly urge you to follow the link to the Guardian site for the very powerful 5 minute video.]


Shooting Back: 100 Cameras film Israeli Occupation
from The Guardian: Palestinians film abuse from settlers and Israeli military with cameras supplied by B'Tsele

9 comments:

Randal Graves said...

There's something you certainly won't see on US teevee.

Robert Rouse said...

This is where bloggers and the Internet can have a powerful impact. I carry my camera with me everywhere. Everyone should. If we ever see anything like this happening during a police stop, demonstration, or strike, we should record it and post it. And yes, we do see this on US TV every now and then. Think of Rodney King.

Border Explorer said...

Randal and Robert, you each represent so much talent; I'm so honored you visit my site.

You are both correct. U.S. mainstream media shields us from so much world reality, as Randal hints. Yet, sometimes some truth can sneak thru thanks, in part, to relentless documenters like Robert. (Or heroic whistle-blowers like Erik Camayd-Freixas in the Postville ICE raid incident.)

Mariamariacuchita said...

Shooting him in the foot, sounds pretty much like the way we treat our "enemy combatants." Brutality is wrong. I am glad this is being shown and hope that girl who took the film is safe.

Border Explorer said...

Come to think of it, Maria, maybe there's a counterpart to the School of the Americas for Israel. We couldn've taught them those tactics. Stranger things have happened.

dada said...

Thank you so much for this extremely powerful film, B.E.

The "Academy" should give an Oscar each year for the best film produced for under $500.

But then if it were to win an Oscar, it would probably have to go into wide distribution and who would want to see such human atrocities?

Never mind. Bad idea. Better we just stick to Batman XII.

Diane said...

you have an award at my place.

Border Explorer said...

Dada, astute observations--as always. BTW, I'm making my first music video in honor of El Paso's border wall walk this month. It'll come in at way under $500, so I think the academy award is a splendid idea.

Border Explorer said...

Diane, thank you so much! Scratch what I said about the academy award above--this one is 100% better because it comes from you. I do so enjoy your blog and comments here. I celebrate our new friendship and thank you for this affirmation. I'm thrilled.