Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Constitution and The Environment

Fragile, remarkable ecosystems are under assault due to the Real ID Act of 2005 and its negligent regard of Constitutional protections. Section 102 of the Act empowers Michael Chertoff, an appointed governmental official, the Secretary of Homeland Security, to waive legislation lawfully enacted by our elected officials in order to quickly build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico. He took full advantage of that provision in April, waiving 33 laws in one fell swoop.

The wall bars wildlife from vital water sources and disturbs their environments. It bisects a rich corridor of our nation, clearing vegetation. Motor vehicles will tear through previously protected lands--both on and off roads. The wall circumnavigates decades of environmental law painstakingly established since the 1960's.

This five minute clip shows a variety of wildlife in clear distress before a wall that plows through their natural habitat:



The Real ID Act of 2005 and similar subsequent laws bypass our Constitution and put all of us at risk. Even the animals. We need to repeat it. Or there will be certain trouble in our near future.

The Sierra Club offer a solution. Learn here how to take action to protect our habitat.

The full 20 minute video, Wild Versus Wall, is available for purchase for $20 through the Sierra Club of Arizona.

Cross posted on Uncommon Sense.

15 comments:

thailandchani said...

Totally with you on the Real ID Act. The whole thing is absurd! The culture of fear bites another big chunk of civil liberties for everyone!


~*

Border Explorer said...

You put it in a nutshell, Chani. This policy is beyond nutty, perhaps actual paranoia. Meanwhile our personal rights take a hit.

Randal Graves said...

Ecosystems, like humans, are there for exploiting. This is the word of BushCo. Amen.

eProf2 said...

BE, you might want to check your spelling of Constitution in your title piece.

Whenever I even think of the wall I get really upset internally. These idiotas who have placed this project above all other considerations should be required to do border duty every day for one year. Starting with the politicians.

Border Explorer said...

Reverend Randal...you lay it out for us real plain. Amen.

eProf: Thanks, I put "it" back into the "Constitution." BTW, were you a teacher?

& re. your comment: yes, what a waste of human resources (as well as laying waste to our natural resources).

Fran said...

Wow that video clip really tells the story. They don't even touch on the pricetag of this monstrosity either.
Why they could bail out a bank or two with all that money!!!

OK not funny, but the door was open.

Border Explorer said...

Fran, yes--it was funny (your comment).

The movie was produced by "Project Steev" Hise on my blog roll, a talented guy I met a couple months ago on the internet.

eProf2 said...

Yes, BE, the eProf was for what I did in the last five years of a 35 year community college teaching career. So, I read a lot of blue books where spelling did count for something. Besides "constitution" the word "candidate" was the, perhaps, the second most misspelled word by my political science students.

No, I don't grade papers anymore so you didn't lose any points with me but once a proof reader always a proof reader and certain words just pop out at me, especially political words and terms.

I'm sure your husband does the same thing, too.

I'm always so reluctant to pass on to bloggers and others misspelled words because I'm as guilty as the next person. Lately, I find myself going back over what I've written because I have a new tendancy to leave words out of my sentences as well as misspell some.

susan said...

There's a few people I'd like to build a wall around - How about you?

I just read today that Chertoff put a 2000ft flight limit over the hurricane devastated part of Texas so news teams can't get close-up shots like they did after Katrina. Heckuva Job Brownie strikes again.

Border Explorer said...

Susan, let's wall off Chertoff.

eProf, since I started using Mozilla Foxfire as my internet browser I've enjoyed its automatic spellchecker. Really helps for adding comments on blogs. I was just careless on the title.

Reminds me of the time I was new in grad school & wrote a terrific paper--but misspelled a word in the title. That did not go over so well. It was long before there was such a thing as spellchecker or even PC's.

Now I feel old.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Just emailed my congressional rep. I just cut and pasted the description of the bill from the Sierra Club. Somehow I didn't think they'd mind. :-)

Border Explorer said...

Ruth, all I can do is pause in appreciation...and say "Thank you!"

DivaJood said...

BE, the border fence is wrong on many levels. I think many of us forget about the ecological disaster, how it disrupts the natural migration patterns of animals, while we focus on the human costs.

I'm so appalled that this thing was being built - we need to tear it down.

Mauigirl said...

Thanks so much for posting this - I didn't even think of the effect on wildlife the wall would have. Of course it would be devastating to the natural migrations and roamings of wild animals.

Walls never solve problems, they only make them worse. It has to go.

Mariamariacuchita said...

This just makes me ill to think about...humans are not illegal.