Friday, September 19, 2008

My Take on the Campaign for President: Meme


At the prompting of Diva Jood who was tagged by Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein for a political meme started up by Jewish Princess, Katie Schwartz., I tackle questions I wish every U.S. voter would address:


1) What is your name (nickname, whatever you're comfortable sharing), your age (range), gender, occupation, income bracket (range), how you identify (gay/straight/whatever)? Married/Single/Divorced? Kids (how many)?
Blogger name: Border Explorer

Age: 58; Female; retired, now a volunteer/activist;

currently living on husband’s social security, he was a teacher all his life—go figure;

straight/married; childless by choice; 2 stepsons, 4 grandchildren.


2) What are the most important issues to you in this presidential election and why?
--war in Iraq, peace issues, U.S. foreign relations

--domestic economy

--international trade issues

--comprehensive immigration reform [To be discussed when the lipstick/pig issue is settled. Correct?]

--eroding Constitutional rights

--environmental issues, energy issues

--universal health care and equality in education opportunity

3) Why do you think voters should vote for Obama/Biden, what differentiates this ticket from McCain/Palin?

The difference is day/night. I don’t remember a presidential choice quite as stark as this one. In years past, I’ve thought the two parties were TweedleDum and TweedleDee—indistinguishable; I’ve voted for third party candidates. Wrong! Not this time. It is critical that Democrats win this election. See #6 below for details.

Obama/Biden represents intelligence, education, and experience. If Obama’s legislative experience is limited, his public service career far outweighs Palin’s. Given McCain’s advanced age and his health concerns, we must seriously entertain the likelihood of a President Palin should the Republican ticket win.

The McCain/Palin ticket represents unbridled ambition and a continuation of policies that have brought our country to the brink of failure.

Media coverage of--and public response to--the campaign, highlight racism (and the ever-present element of white privilege) in this nation. I'm not playing a race card here. I'm calling it as I see it.

4) If McCain/Palin wins this election, where do you see our country going in the next four years?


Our country will get further mired in foreign conflicts and troubled international relationships if the Republicans win. I have feared our ability to survive through this current Bush term. We will never outlast another term of Republican control of the executive branch.

5) Economically, where do you think this country is today and how do you think Obama/Biden can make a positive impact?

Our economy is bottoming out. Irresponsible spending has bankrupted us. The economy is a house of cards ready to tumble at any time. No magic can prop up the assumptions that have brought us here. We need a responsible approach. Deficit spending is intolerable. The defense budget, which represents the majority of our annual budget, incredibly does not include spending for the current wars! How can this be?

The wealthy must contribute their share to support the poor. It may be too late to recover; we'll see. But we simply can’t continue in the patterns that have brought us to where we are today. McCain/Palin will continue the destructive patterns. Obama/Biden are our only hope at real change.

6) In the past 8-years, how do you think this country has changed under the Bush regime? Have you been affected by these changes? If so, in what ways?


Rather than reinvent the wheel, I reprint from The Quaker Agitator’s passionate, truthful political meme:

You mean, besides stealing one election outright and probably a second, thereby coming to power illegally? Besides starting two foreign wars which have killed thousands of American troops and untold numbers of Iraqi and Aghan civilians, and which have maimed untold tens of thousands more? Besides draining hundreds of billions of dollars out of our economy to fund those wars and enrich war profiteers and mercenaries? Besides destroying whatever reputation and good-standing our country had in the community of nations? Besides making torture not only legal but policy? Besides legalizing kidnapping aka “extraordinary renditions”? Besides gutting the Constitution and pissing on the Bill of Rights? Besides packing the Supreme Court with conservative activists who have no respect for the Constitution they were sworn in to protect and defend? Besides encouraging the actions of the Religious Right and Dominionist “Christians” to once again attempt to take over school boards and other local and state governments so they can further erode the wall of separation between church and state? Besides giving my chosen faith - Christianity - such a serious black eye that many folks now view self-described Christians- all of us - with nothing but suspicion and contempt? Besides neglecting the nation’s infrastructure to the point where it has cost us American lives? Besides mismanaging federal disaster relief - even now, after Katrina’s lessons - to the point of what can only be called criminal negligence? Besides destroying the credibility of federal agencies by ignoring sound science and replacing that with corporate interests and/or fundamentalist dogma? Besides helping to destroy the nation’s public education system by placing so much emphasis on bogus standardized test scores that REAL EDUCATION has been left for dead by the side of the road?


7) I have read that Palin is considered the new voice of feminism, which is offensive in my opinion. Of equal concern are her views on abortion and the removal of books from libraries. I'd like to know what you think about all of that and how you feel about McCain choosing Palin as a running mate. And what kind of message you think that sends to women?
The choice of Palin was patent pandering to the Republican Party’s right wing. McCain gained much-needed excitement: a media and public opinion frenzy.


Palin is no feminist. She is patriarchy in a skirt.
----------------------------
I'd love to hear what Maria, Mnmom, Missy, Ruth, and Maggie would say on these questions. Play or pass, as desired.

25 comments:

Mariamariacuchita said...

This is very insightful and I love it!! "Palin is no feminist. She is patriarchy in a skirt."

Dear one, thank you for tagging me, but I am throwing a baby birthday party for 65 people tomorrow and will not even be online today but so briefly..shopping, cleaning and cavorting with my daughter-in-law (and grandbaby) has filled my day.

So see you in a few days!

Randal Graves said...

Are you saying that McCain wouldn't be good for our country? I can't believe you'd denigrate his service like that.

"We're gonna privatize that social security!"

- Johnny M.

Border Explorer said...

Thanks, Maria. I loved that line, too. And NO problem on the meme. Best of luck with the party!

Randal: Mwah!

Wow, just think what the B.E. family's SS check could look like after McPOW gets ahold of it.

thailandchani said...

Well, you know where I stand. :) I'm really glad you did this, too!

Privatizing social security is one of the nuttiest ideas to ever come out of anyone's head!

~*

Missy said...

The temptation, of course, is to simply cut and paste all of *your* answers.

And, whoa. Quaker Agitator's assessment is spot on.

I'll be doing this meme... it needs to gestate a bit.

DCup said...

Patriarchy in a skirt! Perfect.

Border Explorer said...

Chani, your answers were super. I'm sending everyone over to your place.

DCup, your post on this meme was also great. I waited till after I finished mine to read it. Wish I'd mentioned that Obama was not my first choice, as you did.

Missy, I totally agree on Quaker Dave's. What a guy. So glad you're planning on doing this, too. Can't wait. (And thanks for the sweet cut 'n paste comment.)

DivaJood said...

I knew your answers would be amazing. And yes, "patriarchy in a skirt" about sums up Sarah Palin.

Border Explorer said...

Thanks, Diva, for offering me the challenge of this meme and for your on-going support & friendship.

Now I'm going to work on getting Obama elected.

FranIAm said...

You did an amazing job with this - of course!!!

Jan said...

I appreciated reading your thoughts, esp. because I agree!

Border Explorer said...

Fran, let's not neglect to link to your political meme which is heartfelt, as is all your writing. Thanks for helping leading off this meme.

Jan, thanks for endorsing the political thought herein. Let us all stand together. Must say, I feel better for the like-minded people, like you, I've met here.

susan said...

It's called Social Security because that is what it's supposed to be.. and with this fiasco I'm guessing Sen. Obama can make mincemeat out of McCranky and Mooselini.

Great answers BE.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

B.E. I haven't been ignoring you; I'm just have a busy day.

I will do this (I'd been considering it), but it won't go up till Monday or Tuesday. I've stopped blogging on Sundays, and it's not something I can turn out overnight.

I especially liked your answer to #3 because it's good to hear from someone who voted third party and won't do it now.

I'll let you know when mine is up.

P.S. You were so right about my post yesterday. I was really overwhelmed by how many well wishes I received.

Marjorie said...

Okay, will work on it Sunday or Monday, have to get to bed early tonight and have an appt. manana. Still on antibiotics.

Whew. I hope I don't say something trite like oh f@#$$$k Palin and Mc Numbnuts, but you never know, surfers are kinda blunt.


heeheehee.

(<;

Border Explorer said...

Susan, I sure hope so. Fingers crossed. (And thanks!) P.S. Would you consider doing this meme? I'd love to read your answers.

Ruth, take your time. No hurry. And celebrate all week. Heck, all year!

Maggie, regarding infections--heal thyself; regarding meme's--be thyself. ;-)

Fran said...

You've been given an award!

Great post by the way

Marjorie said...

Update, hiya. I'm just getting ready to fly out the door. I was contacted by AFN News in Tijuana and they want to get together to investigate and have Councilman Hueso retract his statement, which was pure fabrication. Which also means contacting the Coastal Commission. etc etc. Also, I forgot I have to go to the Save Trestles thing up in Del Mar, so give me a few more days.

THXS !!

Meanwhile, f@#$%!!!k mcCain and Palin !

heehee.

Dada said...

Well, you'd better hope McCain/Palin don't win because you've incriminated yourself here. You'll never see the light of day again.

Enjoy these last few days!

Border Explorer said...

Fran, thank you so much. See you at your place.

Maggie, wow--way to go, Woman. Lotza action in Tijuana. Proud of you.

Dada: Gosh! I never thought of that! (now where the heck is that damn "delete" button...)

Liberality said...

Hi. Great post. I want to thank you for coming over to my blog and leaving comments. I've been so very busy of late that I haven't been able to return the favor. I will blog roll you though and thanks again.

Katie Schwartz said...

I am so glad you did this. Love this quote, "Palin is no feminist. She is patriarchy in a skirt."

Great to e-meet you! Fab points.

Border Explorer said...

Liberality, thanks for the blog roll, and you're on mine. I wish you lived in my town. You are someone I'd like to know in real life.

Katie, it's an honor to have you visit. Maybe, if I track your blog, you can teach this Catholic girl the difference between Oy and Vey.

Freida Bee said...

Palin is patriarchy in a distractingly short skirt.

Excellent all the way around!

Border Explorer said...

Excellent modifiers, Freida! LOL