Monday, September 8, 2008

Palin & Stevens' Shifting Views of "The Bridge to Nowhere" through the Rear View Mirror

Sarah Palin appeared before the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce in September 2006 and indicated support for the bridge [B.E.'s note: Senator Ted Steven's controversial earmark to nowhere"] project. "This link is a commitment to help Ketchikan expand its access, to help this community prosper," she stated, according to the Ketchikan Daily News.

But, two years later, Senator Ted Stevens now faces a tough re-election race and better not estrange Sarah Palin, so the WashingtonPost.com reports this evening that he's covering for Palin:
"She was never really behind this," Stevens said today, reminding reporters of his impassioned defense of the project in 2005: "I defended it in the Senate. She did not support that. She did not support that."
"I don't remember her ever campaigning for it. As a matter of fact, she was very critical of it at the time. And she took the money and did not use it for the bridge, so you're wrong, as far as I'm concerned," Stevens said today.

Sarah Palin's RNC rhetoric suggested that she has taken on the likes of Ted Stevens. However, this clip from July 2008 suggests otherwise. Here she clearly states that she opposes earmarks because Obama and McCain do [19 second soundbite]:



Now take one minute to listen to Palin praise Stevens, endorsing him ("I have great respect for him") as she and Stevens review their relationship before the camera:


And finally, from "The Best Defense Is A Good Offense Dept.", we have today's headline from LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. (AP):

-- John McCain and Sarah Palin criticized Democrat Barack Obama over the amount of money he has requested for his home state of Illinois, even though Alaska under Palin's leadership has asked Washington for 10 times more money per citizen for pet projects. [my emphasis]

This post is about integrity and honesty and a lament that they don't co-exist very well with ambition.

14 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thanks for highlighting this.

Randal Graves said...

"Yeah, but Barack Hussein X asked for some too," which is akin to the crap that Edwards got for having money while highlighting the problem of poverty and Gore got for being concerned about global warming while living in a house with electricity.

I do not care for these gooper jokers.

Border Explorer said...

Thanks for your voice, Ruth.

Randal, you crack me up with "Barack Hussein X."

As for hypocrisy, leave it to Jon Stewart to do this subject right. I found this video last night after I posted. If you only listen to 5 minutes of Stewart this year, this should be the five right here.

DivaJood said...

Sarah Palin is so involved with a corrupt level of Alaskan politics, it's staggering. She is actually just like Phyllis Schlafley, only worse.

Border Explorer said...

Diva, you're right. And I'm having a hard time dealing with the percentages of followers she's attracting. Always knew I wasn't exactly main-stream, but is she main-stream???

susan said...

I saw a picture of her today wearing the 'Nowhere' t-shirt. Hmppfff!

Border Explorer said...

Good eye, Susan! Here's the shirt.

I'm hoping she self-destructs and takes McPOW with her.

Had a "creative dialogue" with a Rethuglican co-worker yesterday. Trying to talk to a confirmed believer is pointless. I'll save future energy for "Undecideds." [How anyone can be undecided is beyond me, but I hear that they exist.]

dada said...

It doesn't matter how CORRUPT and/or inexperienced Palin is. The more revealed about her in this vein, the more entrenched become her supporters and the more attracted to her are others. Not that we shouldn't be bringing this up...it's just that the American electorate either isn't: a.) interested, or b.) capable of understanding...and, no, I don't mean your readers, my readers or other's readers, I mean the majority of the American electorate.

(But thanks, BE, for this excellent post -- I'm just throwing my pessimism on the current election, ok?, [being the negative person I tend to be.] ~grin)

In the meantime, a Truthout or ICH story reveals Obama's "swiftboating" by republicans as 'unfair'. (OOOOH, ooooh Obama camp's reactions as shades of Kerry's '04 same.)

And the media showing polls of Obama and McCain neck and neck or the latter actually ahead(!), only confirming (to me) the media's complicity/approval of what's taken place the last two elections and setting us up for another repeat of same -- proof Americans are not fit for 'democracy,' even if in symbol only.

So, as so aptly pointed out on
PT Cruiser's (2.0) today, I am totally disillusioned (again!) by this election. It's like deja vu all over.

Border Explorer said...

Dada, your chord of discontent always strikes a resounding note within me. I enjoyed P.T.'s post; thanks for sending me there. I want to return the favor.

This post today juxtaposes democracy as something we consume vs. something we produce. It's clear to me that we've bought into the consumer model democracy and need to take back our part as producers. That's where the revolution needs to happen. But will it? Can it?

Jan said...

blah

Missy said...

Palin makes me physically ill.

Hey, America!! How stupid are you?

Border Explorer said...

Jan, what are you doing here? Take cover! Ike's bearing down. Bless you!

Missy, good question. I'm an embarrassed retired educator. Where did I go wrong?

PTCruiser said...

Dada is right. Palin is the darling of the Republican party, and they're betting all their marbles on her. I'm not sure even the biggest smear campaign in history could stop this Juggernaut. But agreed, the world needs to know what they're in for before she takes office.

Love your blog and I will be a repeat offender in the comment section. ;)

Distributorcap said...

forget the family issues

sarah palin is a pathological liar - to the nth degree. more and more it seems NOTHING she says has any resemblance to the cute little hockey mom

drip drip drip = we can hope
but the american public SO wants to have a beer with her

dumb country