Thursday, October 16, 2008

Misconceptions of Obama Fuel Republican Campaign While the World Watches Us

I'm going to let Jan in San Fran, a blogger I've been tracking recently on her blog Happening Here, explain this as she did on her post. This (2 minute) video shows one reason Obama might tell his supporters not to get cocky.

Prepare yourself for a gut-wrenching experience. Or just move along to another blog. Here's what Jan says:

This video is not for the faint of heart. The whole world is watching the U.S. election. A goodly fraction of it is watching on the Al-Jazeera TV network, based in Qatar, a Gulf oil state. Their correspondent interviewed some of the poorly informed, frightened people who attended a Palin rally in Ohio and an Obama supporter who tried to influence them. No further comment from me.



"O wad some Power the giftie give us
To see ourselves as others see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion."

--"To a Louse" by Robert Burns

10 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, that is so sad and so frightening. I'd like to say that it's hard to believe in such ignorance, but my own mother is against Obama because she thinks blacks (especially Oprah--huh?) will get too much power.

Fran said...

That is indeed disturbing. Really annoying that this false accusation of being a Muslim and the absolute prejudice against Muslims as terrorists, and the notion that a black person is a 2nd rate citizen.
No matter his intelligence, his clear message, his excellent plans and platforms, and the indisputable fact the republican party has really destroyed this country, can't see the light or past their own prejudices.
Beyond tragic.

DCup said...

It's embarrassing. These people are not unlike the masses of people who took to the streets in the Middle East and cheered on 9/11. Their hatred is unfounded in reality, as is their sense of superiority.

Dada said...

This is a great vid to stimulate The Revolution!

Missy said...

It's the underbelly of fascism in America.

Prejudice, ideology, ignorance, and fear.

DivaJood said...

I don't know what to say. I truly cannot get my head around this level of hatred, around people who seem like charicatures. Yet I know they are real people, with their own concerns.

"This is a Christian country," said one. Oh, really? I realize, as a Jew, I am not all that familiar with what Jesus said but I thought he talked a lot about love and tolerance. Hmmm.

Border Explorer said...

Yes, it does not get any worse than this.

When you think of this version of the USA going out to the Arab nations, it rather answers the 9/11 question: "Why do they hate us so much?"

So much work to do...

Randal Graves said...

Evil Randal: Al-Jazeera? What a shock, you radical Islamic fundamentalist bloggers.

Good Randal: welcome to my state. Ignore the polls, Obama can still lose Ohio because there are a lot of incurious jokers here.

Jan said...

Your title says it all.

Grandmère Mimi said...

Eewww. That was ugly.

"White people are trash". That's one I've never heard attributed to Obama before. I'm tempted to say that some white people are, but, of course, I would never say that.