Monday, November 17, 2008

No Ordinary Scribbling

"Untitled Abstract" by Willem de Kooning

The wonderful Diva Jood of Journeys with Jood gifted me last week with the Superior Scribbler Award, leaving me very touched. [With apologies for going all Sally Fields on ya: now I know she had not simply made a mistake with the Brillante award she bestowed earlier--she really means it.] Diva has an MFA and is not only a fine writer but also a creative visual artist with more accomplished works than she has had time to reveal to us yet. I adore her creative writing posts; particularly memorable are the regular blog posts by her granddaughter, known as the Secretary of Strawberries and Cream. Even better, I thoroughly admire Diva's impassioned writing for justice. Utah Savage gave Diva the Superior Scribbler Award. Utah is one hell of a writer herself. I'm honored to post an award with this ancestry. Thank you very much, Diva. Your friendship and bloggy support really bless me; this award means a lot to me.

Well, here's how this thing works:
*Each Superior Scribbler must in turn pass The Award on to 5 most-deserving Bloggy Friends.
*Each Superior Scribbler must link to the author & the name of the blog from whom he/she has received The Award.
* Each Superior Scribbler must display The Award on his/her blog, and link to This Post, which explains The Award.
* Each Blogger who wins The Superior Scribbler Award must visit this post and add his/her name to the Mr. Linky List. That way, we'll be able to keep up-to-date on everyone who receives This Prestigious Honor!
*Each Superior Scribbler must post these rules on his/her blog.

I take awards seriously. It means the world to me when someone says "Good job." It's tough to select only five blogs of the many I enjoy. Upon reflection, I wish to recognize:

*Carol of Carol for Peace. Carol realizes that if we want peace we need to work for justice. She lives it and she blogs it. Whether is is gardening on the personal level or protesting on the national level or volunteering for peace on the local level--Carol is active and is blogging the action. Her scenic Colorado photos add that spirituality dimension that supports peace-living. She's a don't-miss blogger.

*Ruth of Ruth's Visions and Revisions. Some of the finest posts I've read on Blogger were composed at this woman's hands. Ruth's intelligent and level-headed approach tackles the stickiest issues head-on, educating and inspiring her many enthusiastic readers. I certainly also appreciate her pithy comments on this blog. She somehow manages to be meticulous and friendly simultaneously. I met Ruth early on through an awards process by following a link at someone else's recommendation. I'm so glad I did.

*Many people love Sherry of A Feather Adrift and for good reason. I found Sherry through the Iowa connection of Essential Estrogen, but I quickly learned that Sherry's interests are not restricted to Iowa by any means. Intelligent and highly educated, she writes with equal authority on theology, law, politics, and married life. And her photography is also a treat. But my absolute favorite feature is her recent autobiographical series "Godly Humor," more engrossing than any page-turner I've ever read.

*Okjimm of Okjimm's Eggroll Emporium already has this award, but--like a second beer--what's better than a second helping of awards? OKjimm keeps me sane. His lighthearted jibes at the politicos or simply at life--warts and all--are stress relief par excellance. I looked up these outstanding posts of his for you to check out: Word Verification, Juan, and the incredible Easter Everyday. How often do you remember a post and still think about it 2, 3 or 4 months later? Jimm--your cheese curds are in the mail, but you can take the award right now.

Jan of Yearning for God. I typically find something inspiring and underlined with a faith dimension at Jan's. It might be simply a beautiful quotation. It may be a topical post: gay marriage and decrying torture are two recent examples. She is amazingly well-read. In addition, she has very interesting and enjoyable friends in the RevGal Blog Pals ring (and beyond!), so the comments section is just as worthwhile. Visiting Jan is a bright spot in my day; if you don't know her, give yourself a treat. You'll come away a better person from Yearning for God.

Innumerable times I tell myself how fortunate I am that such amazing people read this blog. This is not false flattery; I am sincere. I would like to give every reader an award. Meanwhile, let's enjoy the process that is blogging with thankful hearts. Mine is thankful today.

10 comments:

FranIAm said...

DivaJood knows what she is doing and you are most deserving of this.

You also chose a number of talented bloggers - some I know and some I don't.

And I could not agree with you more about Sherry and her Godly Humor pieces!!!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Congratulations on your well-deserved award. I am touched that you would think of me. Thank you very much. I will pass it on later this week.

DivaJood said...

Well, I'm giving you yet another award. This one has a pretty picture.

Jan said...

Thank you for this honor, especially among all these others. I am pleased to find others to get to know. Back to that old saying, "any friend of yours is a friend of mine. . . ."

And thanks for taking the time to do this as you move!

Send me your snail mail address via email, ok?

Carol said...

Thank you. I'm excited to check out the blogs of the others you have chosen.

Getting to know good people like you and your friends, I'm filled with hope.

an average patriot said...

B E
You are well deserving! I have to tell you! Diva's Friday stories about Beanie make my day and Utah has one hell of a way with words. I hope the three of you are well!

Sherry said...

BE I am so pleased you received this riched deserved award and am so happy you thought of me as a recipient as well. It is amazing that you also nominated people with me that I read as well. They are all superb. I wish I could do as well as you in walking the walk! Thanks again.

DCup said...

Congratulations to a superb scribbler! And to all those you've awarded, too.

okjimm said...

I had a lotta difficulty using the blogs today at work. I hate it when works gets in the way. I really appreciated the Scribbly-Thingee. Especially from someone who embraces the ethos of life like you do. Thank you.

susan said...

The award does indeed come with a good pedigree and you well deserve all our congratulations for your passion for peace and justice.

Best wishes to you and to those you've chosen.