Monday, December 1, 2008

Back to the Border

Dada, my blogger friend from El Paso, emailed this lovely piece of art in October. Mr. B.E. and I are poised to arrive today to see for ourselves this border fence's replacement: the new border wall. Dada sent this text with the picture. [Be sure to click on the picture to enlarge it and see the detail he mentions]:

Yesterday, as the fates would have it, was a gorgeous day for the little border fence gathering of young artistas at the old La Hacienda restaurant, now abandoned (more likely because of its horrific acoustics than its history or savory enchiladas). Upon our return home, I was taken with developing the digital images we had captured during our outing. Upon seeing the enclosed one from [Mrs. Dada's] camera, I immediately thought of you and [your husband]. Hung on the border fence (not wall at this point), the shadows of the border chain links show through the parchment echoing very much the similar "real" background behind it of newspaper houses with newsprint headlines. And knowing of your imminent return, I immediately realized my purpose this day -- to give this image to you as a present.

Dada investigated the identity of the artist and discovered it to be an Iowan woman who now lives in El Paso and is quite a successful artist: Candy Mayer. Her open house is this week, so I'm arriving exactly the right time to meet her. How lucky is that?

Be sure to click on the photo to enlarge it--making the detail clear (very important!)

It looks like I've survived the leap across the split in my split screen life. Life has felt disjointed and chaotic to me. I hope to soon return to regular blogging...and, more importantly, reading my other blogger friends. See you soon!

14 comments:

eProf2 said...

I hope you had a safe trip to El Paso and that your thanksgiving was enjoyable with family. I look forward to your newest posts about the borderland after your latest stay in Iowa. Seeing things afresh is great.

DCup said...

I'm glad you've arrived safely.

Carol said...

Very poignant piece of art. I'm glad that you will be able to meet the artist. I would enjoy being there for that.

Border fences and walls...

sigh...

Dada said...

Welcome "HOME"! As a welcome back present, we are building towards a 75 degree Tuesday!

We are anxious to see you and, while I have no idea what your regular work schedule will be, the weekend looks to be as busy as you'd like it. Besides things you may have planned:

Friday at noon: the weekly peace vigil downtown continues (until forever or eternity - whichever comes first).

Saturday: High Desert with Momento Bello and Renee's lovely talents - 7:00 p.m.

Saturday: Lomas - Palomas benefit at The Bean in Old Messilla with entertainment by Grass Roots Press publisher, Steve (and Kathy) 7:00 p.m. (I DO believe one could make two places in one night.)

Saturday - Sunday: Artist Candy Mayer (today's featured artist here on B.E.'s) open house.

Just a few other ideas for the weekend.

Utah Savage said...

Remember how we all saw the Berlin Wall as a horrible symbol of the Communists oppression of it's residents in a divided Berlin? When did it happen that we would become a nation that walled itself off from those who seek freedom and a better life?

Sherry said...

I hate fences/walls like this. So totally ineffectual. Glad you made it safely there. Send warm weather this way. It's the usual, cold, windy, snowy and generally yech here.

an average patriot said...

Wow that was quite a picture! I want to say thank you and be careful. I clicked on candy's name and it just said not found but the picture was something!

Border Explorer said...

Thank you all for your good wishes and comments! I'm reporting in from El Paso tonight. It is great to finally have a place to settle in again. Packing and moving twice a year helps me empathize with what it would be like to be homeless or a migrant.

Now the enjoyable part has begun: exploring the Border again!

[James, I fixed that link. Thanks.]

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's an amazing piece of art. And I'm so glad you might get to meet the artist.

Jan said...

So glad you made it safely to El Paso. The painting is wonderful.

Since we are now in the same state, I hope we can meet up someday.

D.K. Raed said...

Great painting. Walls to keep us in or keep others out? I think the sign says it all, unless I'm looking at it from the wrong direction. Welcome back to the SW!

Randal Graves said...

Glad you're back on the tubes. Lovely work of art in that 'too bad the damn subject matter even exists' kind of way.

ThomasLB said...

This is off-topic, but: I got my free Dunkin Donuts coffee in the mail today, and I wanted to thank you again for turning me on to it.

Yay! Free coffee!

Fran said...

Wow! That art sure says a lot. I bet this artist has wonderful works & glad your arrival coincides with the art show.
I hope your explorations give us more glimpses of the border wall. Such a sad commentary on the state of things.
The fence was stark enough, giving a glimpse of the other side, the wall does not.