Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas in the Trenches; Christmas in a Border warzone

This lovely anti-war ballad turned me on to John McCutcheon years ago. It still brings tears to my eyes, no kidding. I've watched it several times the last few weeks. John, a gifted musician and songwriter, inspires me over and over. Here's a Christmas treat of 6 1/2 minutes of beauty:



One of the most violent and dangerous cities on earth is but a thirty minute stroll from my front door. By a deliberate and difficult act of my will, I choose to look with compassion on the drug cartel members whose war of greed is waged with actions that are sub-human by any definition.

I cannot change them, but I can refuse to retaliate with hate. I will regard them with compassion. I will not lower myself. Lovc...always love.

Merry Christmas, Everyone! May peace prevail on earth!

10 comments:

Maithri said...

Dear Friend,

You are an inspiration and a light in the darkness.

Keep burning through the night,

Happy, Happy Christmas to you and all those you love,

Winged love, Maithri

Tim said...

Oh, BE, how perfect. That's all I can say.

Bless you for this.

QuakerDave said...

McCutcheon is a treasure, and to me, this is an example of an absolutely perfect song. I use it every year in class when I teach poetry to my kids.

And it doesn't hurt that he's a Quaker dude!

Happy merry, etc.!

Carol said...

Thank you, B.E., for the beautiful song and for stopping the war right where you are.

A blessed holiday to you, my friend.

Utah Savage said...

Lovely in every way. You are one of the sweetest people I've ever "known." Not in the biblical sense, of course, but in the bloglical sense. Keep doing what you always do and the world will be a better place because you're in it.

Mauigirl said...

I love this song. I heard it on public radio one time when we were driving home from Cape Cod along with a lot of other anti-war songs. Glad to know who sings it as I forgot to Google it when I got home.

Happy Holidays, Border Explorer. Let's hope for peace in 2009.

Border Explorer said...

Your comments are the finest Christmas present I could receive. I have been so blessed to come to know you--such fine and talented people--in 2008. Thank you for coming here and leaving your goodness in the comment section. All blessings of this season to you!

Fran said...

I love John McCutcheon. Happy Holidays to you, and may peace and sanity prevail.

D.K. Raed said...

B.E. you are the best. You really do feel your way through to see the best, too.

Wishing you & yours a lovely christmas ... with much happiness in my heart to know people such as yourself exist.

Dusty said...

Merry Winter Solstice Border Explorer!

Thank you for all that you do to promote a better world for all. ;)