Sunday, December 7, 2008

First Impressions of the Border: Round 3


Everything looks strangly familiar yet oddly strange to me as I acclimate to the Border once again. An important concept that surprised me on Round One of border exploring a few years back was learning that whether one stands in "The U.S." or in "Mexico," we're all standing in the Borderland--and that commonality overrides nationalism here.

This quote elaborates:
"The US/Mexican Border is a wound where the Third World grates against the First and bleeds... the lifeblood of two worlds merging to form a third country--- a border culture." Gloria Anzaldua

Photo caption: Like the Borderland, the bird nest is an entity unto itself, caught in between. We discovered it on a desert hike on Round 1 of Border exploring.

5 comments:

DCup said...

I love the photo of the eggs on the cactus. It's so perfectly symbolic of the life that can still flourish in prickly situations.

Now if only we could get our head around a humane and decent way to work with our neighbors.

D.K. Raed said...

love that quote, the imagery of two worlds colliding & forming a third!

to me, the border is more like a moveable feast. I've encountered it all over the west, as far north as washington state ... little isolated pockets in many places reminding me that the imaginary lines we call states or nations only have the meanings we assign them.

Libby said...

Wow, amazing picture. I love the image.

thailandchani said...

This is very interesting to read about! In some ways, I might be a bit desensitized to cultural hegemony, having been raised with it. I'm glad you are doing this work.


~*

Sherry said...

Oh I surely envy you the warm weather. It's sleeting and ugly here! You left just in time! Did I say that I hated fences like that? But the nest is lovely to see.