Saturday, January 10, 2009

It's Michael Chertoff's Retirement Party: The Border Says "Adios!"


Communities along the Texas border are throwing Retirement Parties this weekend celebrating the end of Michael Chertoff’s tenure as Secretary of Homeland Security. Chertoff is the man who drove a wall through the borderlands. In the process, he condemned hundreds of Texas landowners’ property and waived dozens of environmental (and other) laws. His tenure imprisoned families of immigrants and thoroughly messed up the Hurricane Katrina response. The Border is ready to say “adios” to Chertoff, whose concrete and steel border wall will remain as a reminder of his "accomplishments."


Scott Nicol of the No Border Wall Coalition emphasizes that this event, celebrated in various cities along the border, is a true party and not a protest. Chertoff himself is not expected to attend (ahem).


The Brownsville TX Retirement Party tonight will include poetry, live music, a retirement cake decorated with Chertoff's picture, and the traditional breaking of the Chertoff piƱata! There will be a Chertoff’s Wheel of Fortune, a raffle, and a possible "visit" from still-President Bush.


The latest word from El Paso is that the Chertoff retirement party is postponed here; I was quite disappointed. We await further notice.


Reports are the Associated Press will cover the Chertoff Retirement Party event. Watch for any info in your local newspaper and let me know if you see coverage, OK? Thanks.

13 comments:

eProf2 said...

Morning BE. I don't think Chertoff's replacement, AZ governor Janet Napolitano, will be inclined to change much of the Bush administration's fence building on the border. In fact, for the past three years she has called for more national guard troops, some with weapons, to patrol the border along with the umpteen thousand border patrol agents, ICE, and regular police and sheriff's departments. Time will tell, but in the meanwhile there may be some cause for celebrating the "retirement" of Chertoff and other BushCo politicos.

thailandchani said...

I agree with Prof2. Janet Napolitano is no prize, either.. although Chertoff seems to be a brainwashed little idiot who couldn't think his way out of a paper sack.

Yeah, it's mean.. but .. you know. :)




~*

Dee said...

When the party comes to El Paso, please have a Margarita for me!

I think Napolitano will be much better than Chertoff only because Bush is out of office and the marching orders will come from him.
I also want to see who Obama names as Myers replacement as head of ICE.

Mary Ellen said...

Maybe they'll release that Border Patrol guy who was thrown in jail for trying to stop an illegal drug runner from entering into the US. I can't remember the guy's name, but as far as I know, he's still in jail.

Chertoff, along with the rest of the Bush crowd is just plain scary.

Fran said...

I love the party concept- especially the pinata. A piece of Chertoff cake might be too weird. My only question is will he take the color coded fear/terrororism chart with him?

I really resent having to listen to the pre recorded terrorism color of the day report over the airport PA system. Good afternoon travelers!
I was in a bathroom airport once when the prerecorded message came on- Today's terrorism color is..... then all I could hear was the flushing of toilets.

As one pundit had predicted-- the color code level would never be blue or green.
The whole concept of homeland security was to perpetuate the fear.

Border Explorer said...

Gotta love these comments! Have I told you all lately that I love you? Party on, People! Party on! Because I do believe there are harder days ahead.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Send me one of those margaritas, will you? And give that pinata a good whack.

FranIAm said...

That is so great. Adios and don't let the security fence door hit you in the ass as you make your way out, Chertoff.

Jan said...

I should hear about that here.

Border Explorer said...

Fran: Ha ha, good one!

Jan: Brownsville had the big party. I googled it today and did not turn anything up. Interesting that Chertoff came out this weekend with an emergency plan in case the Mexico drug war spills into the U.S. Trying to go out appearing "on the ball," perhaps?

Lisa said...

I think the nation may collapse from a collective sigh of relief to see the Bush Administration go.

Carol said...

I hope that the El Paso party will still happen at some point. And if the press covers it, I may give up my MSM cynicism. Well, maybe not...

Dusty said...

Awesome B.E!!!!

Crossposted it at Sirens..I would of loved to attend this fete for the fuckwad we know as Chertoff. ;)