Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This Gringa Chica Can Die Contenta

Forgive me for sharing some happy personal blogging events. If it looks like bragging, I apologize. Truth is: I'm simply thrilled and amazed, and I want to share this with you who come here and read. I think of you as my friends.

1) My "first love" as a blogger was Travelpod.com, the site I chose to journal my Bolivia trip (my very first blogging experience) in 2006. It was natural that when I started exploring the border that I'd turn to Travelpod. After a couple years, though, my posts were more issue-oriented and less travel-oriented. I switched to Blogger.

But I never forgot Travelpod; they were so good to me. They selected my "Border Explorer" (the original one with them) as a "top pick," bringing me lots of extra traffic. And this month they featured it again in a special email to all the Travelpod community, awarding me with a "bling" badge I've got in the sidebar. Que amable!

2) Thanks to Steev (remember meeting him?), when the Border Patrol sprung a plan to spray the Rio Grande River bank with defoliant at Laredo, my story about it was featured on the Houston Indymedia site...and from there it went to National Indymedia! That will probably be the pinnacle of my bloggy career. I die content.


3) It was not so long ago that this grandma had never heard of Reddit.com. As I type this, my story on the Israeli conscientious objectors is the top story on the "worldpolitics" subreddit. I just love when I can bring exposure to good people doing good things. This distinction will expire in two hours. Fame--so fleeting! But here's the screenshot (so I can look at it for a boost when my spirits sag):

I decided to put my name on the authorship of this blog. I've been inspired by some of you, e.g. Ruth Hull Chatlein and James Joiner. I want to own my words and take responsibility for them. While you can call me Billie, I also love B.E. and Border Explorer...my interior identity. Take your pick. :-)

I hope you all experience some spillover "feel-good" from this good stuff. You're a major component of Border Explorer--and, more importantly, my role models and blogging mentors.

Even though this world needs so much more...there's so much to be thankful for.
----lyrics, "Thankful"

12 comments:

Randal Graves said...

With this post, you do realize that you've now further exposed yourself to the vile minions of The Man®. ;-)

Dusty said...

Congratulations for getting the much deserved notice Billie. ;)

claire bangasser said...

Congratulations! You certainly deserve it. You're doing a great job!

Jan said...

You deserve mucho praise. I concur and also applaud your efforts. Thanks.

an average patriot said...

Yeah! Love it, you are doing so good. I am really glad things are going well and you obviously do get good coverage at Reddit. Take care B E Billie!

Border Explorer said...

Thank you so much for your gracious response (to an unabashedly self-serving post, if I do say so myself!). Well, this is the small town girl in me coming out...blink, blink..."What, you noticed me?" O.K., back to real life tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Libby said...

Congrats Billie! You have lots to be proud of. I am glad you are getting noticed, because you have a lot of important stuff to say :)

Carol said...

Congratulations and thank you for putting the information out there.

One Fly said...

Well done Billie and don't back off a bit!

Brother Tim said...

Congrats, Billie! Your work deserves it. I know how you're feeling. The Huffington Post linked one of my posts not long ago. It's a great feeling, sit back and enjoy it.

Border Explorer said...

Libby, Carol, One Fly: thank you very much for your kind words!

Brother Tim: I am enjoying it. I know you've gotta be feeling good about getting linked on the Huffington Post, too. Yea for you! Always nice for a democracy when the citizenry has a voice. Keep it up!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm so happy you're getting some recognition. Your passion for justice is an inspiration to me. And I'm so pleased to be able to say, "Hi, Billie!"