Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Feds Move to Defoliate Rio Grande River Bank

Photo used with permission.
In a major setback to the environment last night, the Laredo TX city council voted to allow the Border Patrol to aerially spray the US-Mexico border with the toxic herbicide Imazapyr, a substance which begins to kill all vegetation immediately upon application. Many residents at the meeting opposed this move, citing the environmental impact and potential health side effects, as well as the likelihood that the chemical could contaminate the water supply for Nuevo Laredo, their Mexican sister-city.

The accompanying photo (above) shows the effects of an aerial spray conducted six months prior on a test site near Laredo. Federal officials considered the results "successful" in efforts to eradicate the invasive plant carrizo; however, the site now slated for defoliation contains 1000 living species, including four endangered species. This photo was taken on the Zachary Ranch in March 2008 by Dr. Jim Earhart of the Rio Grande International Study Center.

Local activist Jay J. Johnson-Castro Sr. of the Rio Grande International Study Center stated in a telephone interview that federal agents intend to eventually spray the extensive border river area, from Big Bend to Brownsville Texas. "Why would they make the initial spray in a populated area?" he queried. Clearing 1.1 miles of border between the cities of Laredo and Nuevo Laredo will cost $2 Million.

Activists on the Yahoo group "No Border Wall" urge the public to contact the office of US Attorney General Eric Holder to protest the impending action: http://www.usdoj.gov/contact-us.html; Department of Justice Main Switchboard: 202-514-2000; Office of the Attorney General: 202-353-1555.

The detrimental effect of toxic air pollutants is documented on the US Environmental Protection Agency website.

14 comments:

FranIAm said...

Holy crap! That is horrible. I mean - there are no words for this reckless idiocy.

an average patriot said...

I have to laugh, that is a Dusty word all right! Have we not learned anything from the use of agent orange in Vietnam?
This is outrageous! They probably do not care but do not even know the myriad of side affects.
That is really horrific! There can be no good reason for raping yourself and worse!

Border Explorer said...

Fran, you are right. When I saw that photo, my jaw dropped. I could hardly talk. I called Jay immediately and got the story from him. This isn't on national radar yet--not even in the Texas state news. I'm trying to spread the word.

Jim, right-o! Click the link in the post on Imazapyr, and you'll get an eyeful on the side effects.

EVERYONE: Com'on, $1M to kill a mile of 400 year old weeds? DO THEY THINK WE'RE TOO DUMB TO SEE THE HIDDEN AGENDA?

Carol said...

You're right about the hidden agenda.

Even with everyone's happiness about Obama, I still have no reason to believe that we have a government for the people.

an average patriot said...

Thanks B E will do!

Jan said...

This is so sad. As a TX voter, what would you advise me to do??

Border Explorer said...

It appears as though this is national in scope now, that only federal or international intervention can prevent it. I've heard that spraying could possibly start this week. Write to the US Attorney General [I emailed him AskDOJ@usdoj.gov & it only took a few seconds.] Also, contact Secretary Janet Napolitano http://action.sierraclub.org/borderwall,

Thanks for taking action!
My next step is to investigate getting this info into the local newspaper/newsmedia.

Randal Graves said...

What the fuck.

How does one arrive at such a point where being an evil bastard takes about as much effort as pouring milk over your cereal?

Utah Savage said...

I lived briefly in Glendale, CA when they were doing aerial spraying of Malithion for Med flies. I would leave my apartment just as they were flying over. Doused every day. Smoking cigarettes doesn't scare me, the EPA scares me.

In the early '60s while visiting one of the tonier LA beaches I got a terrible rash. Was treated by the hotel doctor who said it was DDT poisoning. They were spraying the beaches to rid them of sand fleas.

I never thought I'd live this long. But when I die, someone ought to do a toxicity study to see what the long term effects of these aerial sprayings does to humans.

Dave Dubya said...

We have a sickness in this country. Death, violence and destruction are our answers to every problem.

The Karmic wheel is turning and we will not like it.

Border Explorer said...

Randal, once again you pack the crux of it into a pithy statement. They have perfected evil; it's child's play for them.

Utah, thanks for sharing those stories from your experience. I don't have much trust in the FDA or the USDA either. But, you live long...OK? Beat the odds.

Dave, you are soooooo right!

threedameswithaclue said...

Un-fucking-believable, that is so sick and wrong. Oy vey. I agree with Fran, "reckless idiocy".

Brother Tim said...

I am going to e-mail Eric 'State Secrets' Holder right now; and while I'm at it, I'll send copies to the dozen or so Senators and Representatives that I regularly harass. :) Thanks for the tip-off, it must have slid by under my radar, I hadn't heard about it til now.

Matt said...

I know this is not complex or toxic enough for either government but if someone has a match they could just burn the offending plants. Sure it will create some smoke for a day or so but mission accomplished. Duh!