Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Finding a Clue


My palms were sweating the first time I commented on Katie Schwartz's blog. I felt out of my league. Katie fascinated me, charmed me, yes, even intimidated me with her easy, breezy, chatty prose, her unflappable attitude, and her ability to address subjects head-on that I carefully tiptoe around.


While I was blitzed by Katie's wit and eloquence and attitude, what I did not know--but quickly learned--was that Katie Schwartz is as compassionate and caring as she is witty and articulate. With her, I was in safe and gentle hands.


Today she has honored me by inviting me to participate in an ongoing, online project on a new blog she co-authors with Joy Hurwitz and Belle Zwerdling aptly named Three Dames with a Clue. The project-My Authentic Expression-offers women writers the opportunity to answer important questions about their self-identity from their feminine perspective. The interviews are powerful; the women are mighty and wise.


Katie's questions forced me to look deep within and articulate what I am attempting here on Border Explorer. I'm grateful to her and only wish I had asked myself those same questions a long time ago. Here is a taste:

What does being a woman mean to you?

I interface with the world through my femininity; being a woman is essential to who I am. Sometimes that makes me vulnerable. Sometimes it gives me power. I can identify with the marginalized because as a woman I've been pushed aside in a sexist world...


I hope you visit Three Dames with a Clue, not so much for my interview as for the powerful authentic expressions that are being archived there. Really, they are moving. Our world is full of wonderful people. It never hurts to remember that.


Thank you, Katie, for gifting me with the chance to experience you...to feel your acceptance and affirmation. And how I love meeting your friends at Three Dames!

10 comments:

mmlindsey said...

Billie,

You are too cool. Know that Misty and I are so thankful to have "run" into you and Paul. You two are just radical.

much peace & love.

Dusty said...

You, Dear woman, are my heroine. ;)

Sherry said...

Well done! I am so pleased for you BE. You are more than deserving for this. No one works as tirelessly for justice and equality. I look forward to reading this blog on a regular basis!

an average patriot said...

Billie it is pretty cool seeing you get your due recognition and seeing you spread your wings. Enjoy!

Jan said...

Billie, you are so good at expressing yourself! The adjectives you used for Misty, I would add to you, too. Congratulations!

Liberality said...

You do important work and it is nice to get an acknowledgment for that work. Congrats m'dear.

Border Explorer said...

Thank you everyone! I mean it. I appreciate you so much.

宜蘭民宿 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Border Explorer said...

(I just zapped out a little spam linkage.)

Katie Schwartz said...

Billie, it was such a privelge to have you and share you with so many incredible women. Your answers moved me, enlightened me and ignited a few necessary ass flames for which I am grateful.

YOU ARE A GIFT. You are special and you're AWESOME.

XOXOXOXOXOXOX
me