Saturday, April 25, 2009

Helping Hands Award--going out today to...




I hope that many of you have already discovered The Soaring Impulse
and it's charismatic author Maithri Goonetilleke, the young Australian physician who has dropped everything to work in Swaziland with some of the poorest people you can imagine.

Maithri (pronounced My3) is one of these people who seems wise waaaaay beyond his 28 years. In the short time he has been on Blogger he has developed a huge fan base. A visit to his site is really a love fest, of sorts, as people respond to him as he is toward them--poetic, loving and open-hearted. I'm really touched by his interest in Border Explorer and in me. His loving and supportive comment pulled me through a mini-blogging crisis some weeks ago when I interfaced with a listserv of people who were upset with a post I wrote (to put it mildly). He gifted me with the Helping Hands award, for which I am truly grateful. It is time for me to pass it on.

Fortunately, Maithri cares not a whit about rules, so I don't have to follow any now either.

One of the benefits of our volunteer-lifestyle is that we meet many wonderful people who are genuinely selfless and self-giving. Most of them don't have energy left at the end of the day to blog. There are a few who make the effort to share their experiences.

First I want to honor Libby at Rejoice Always. She gave a year of her life to doing unpaid volunteering at a homeless shelter on the border. We met her at that shelter where we helped the easy way--coming in and taking a shift, then going home to our privacy. Libby and the other post-college volunteers got as recompense for the gift of a year of their lives the opportunity to live in a small, windowless room IN THE SHELTER! (Really, I've seen closets much larger than the rooms they get.) It isn't easy to transition from that lifestyle back into the mainstream, so send your good energy to Libby as she again finds her place in society now that her commitment as a volunteer is fulfilled. I always say that once you've been a volunteer at that shelter, you're probably overqualified for any other job you'll ever do. Love you, Libby.

Next, I also want to award Matt and Misty who moved into Juarez last year and are making a home and a community for themselves in a neighborhood there. They are two very remarkable and talented people who I'm lucky to know and to be able to read about in their blog: The Desert, Learning to live life in Mexico. This weekend we're all going to be tabling at an ELCA convention, selling Fair Trade products for people Mexico, by the way. Their blog is developing in to one of my very favorites, so if you have not visited them yet, don't wait.

We are all much obliged (as the award reads) to those who share. To the entire blogging community I extend my gratitude for your self-expression and sharing of self--with your helping hands on the keyboard. Special thanks to Libby, Matt and Misty!

Before I close, I want to point out the Grooveshark widget above. I recently discovered www.grooveshark.com where you can listen to any song you want...FREE! It also can auto-establish a music queue for you based on your preferences, like Pandora. But Pandora won't play any specific song you request. Grooveshark will.

lyrics:
I can change the world
With my own two hands
Make a better place
With my own two hands
Make a kinder place
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands
I can make peace on earth
With my own two hands
I can clean up the earth
With my own two hands
I can reach out to you
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

Im gonna make it a brighter place
Im gonna make it a safer place
Im gonna help the human race
With my own
With my own two hands

I can hold you
With my own two hands
I can comfort you
With my own two hands
But you got to use
Use your own two hands
Use your own
Use your own two hands

With our own
With our own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

8 comments:

Sherry said...

BE I was unaware that you had had some difficulty with comments. I don't get around nearly as often as I'd like these days. Your example of selfless dedication to helping the world doesn't go unnoticed. It's catching, which is why to a degree I'm getting busier and busier these days. LOL. I hope to make it around to these blogs you've honored as well as the one from whom you were honored. I'm busting out with great blogs! best wishes, sherry

enigma4ever said...

I am so sorry that anyone gave you a hard time...email me any time- I have had it all hate mail to threats- so so sorry that such a good soul would have to go through that- next time email I will be here in a heartbeat and with a full army...

many many hugs good woman...
you have heart, courage and wisdom....
keep blogging it...it matters...
you are one more amazing voice helping people retain their empathy and compassion....

namaste...

Border Explorer said...

Thanks so much, Sherry and Enigma, for your kind support! That incident wasn't so bad a deal really--not like what you've gone through, Enigma. And, mea culpa, I incited the mini-uproar by writing a deliberately provocative post. Actually, Libby (who I'm honoring in this post) was also very helpful in that moment with her thoughtful comments.

More relevant to the moment: thanks for reading and commenting. I hope you two know how highly I think of you. I remember the days when you both seemed like blogging goddesses to me--so high I could never reach you--and now you seem like friends. More than anything: thanks for that friendship.

Libby said...

Billie, thank you so much! I'm honored that you thought of me for this award, especially since these days I spend much more time sitting around the house than contributing to society! Your comments about the shelter are hilarious - should I add that the air temperature inside my bedroom got down to 55 degrees in the winter and up to 90+ in the summer?? For everything I miss about the shelter, the living arrangements are not exactly one of them, ha ha.

Thank you again, Billie, this is really sweet and brightened my day :) Now I'm off to check out the other blogs you mention here!

Dianne said...

Maithri is a good soul as my Nana would say. His spirit is so bright. It doesn't surprise me that the two of you would connect.

I remember that period of comment strife and I remember your dignity and restraint and grace.

You're very much a hero to me.

enigma4ever said...

hey me here-
can you email me- I am trying to figure out something about the swine flu- about the Mexico City victims- I will explain if you email me- I have a hunch that you speak spanish....

thanks...it's important- or I would not pester you.....
( yeah- it is a migrant issue...)

enigma4ever said...

oh I forgot to say Blogging Goddesses -ooooh that is such a good name for a Group Blog eh ???
and dear friend..
we are friends....
all of us..
we fought the Evil Bush regime- all of us in our own way....

so glad to have met you in Blogland....
keep up your beautiful blogging....
you inspire more than you know....

;-)

Maithri said...

Sitting here in an internet cafe in the streets of Siteki. Buses blaring on the street outside... Red dust flying...

I just wanted you to know that you inspire me deeply.

That your passion and compassion are seen and honoured and appreciated.

Love on my friend,

And may grace hold you softly through every season,

Maithri