Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Time to Pour It ON for Lomas del Poleo...Make it a happy ending!


The filthy rich Zaragosas ran out of stalling tactics. A day in court is dawning for the peasants of Lomas del Poleo, a settlement of the poorest of the poor just outside of Juarez whose real estate happens to suddenly have spiked in value. No one wanted their stinking desert wasteland until a proposed NAFTA-inspired bridge and highway got slated to plow right through it.


Theirs is a story told and retold throughout human history, a Jack-in-the-Beanstalk tale of the big and powerful robbing the poor. But most of those real life stories don't conclude with the peasants getting their stolen stuff back and the giant getting chopped down to size. The big guy generally wins.


This is the first time in my sheltered life that I've ever witnessed it happening myself.


This week's email update tells of the unexpected, although long-hoped-for development: a Mexican land court is starting to hear the case. This comes after four years of Zaragoza's stalling to evade facing up to his illegal landgrab.


From this week's email:

Now, more than ever, the people of Lomas need our prayers and monetary support. Please pray that the judge be guided by the principals of the law in conducting a fair trial, that God keep the Lomas residents in the palm of his hand as they go through this emotionally trying time and embark on more travels, and that the Holy Spirit awaken the Zaragoza family with love, compassion, and justice...... please consider writing a handwritten letter in support of the residents. For more information regarding addresses of U.S. and Mexican politicians, please let me know. Great things can happen with your help!

For those of you who pray....PRAY.

For those of you who don't...WRITE.

I'll be at a meeting Friday and will update you on this.


Wouldn't it be nice if we could help write this tale a storybook ending?

----------

photo caption: I was one of the last people to enter Lomas del Poleo, about a year ago. Thus, this is one of the last photos taken (by a visitor) of the area. As ugly and dead as this land looks to me, it is beautiful...it is home...to the people of Lomas. And it is being wrestled out of their hands.

I took this photo through the windshield glass as we drove through the area. My camera would have been confiscated had it been noticed.

8 comments:

thailandchani said...

I wish there was something we could do about this. You'd think at this point in history that everyone would be sick and tired of exploitation of the poor by the rich.



~*

mmlindsey said...

Right on, BE!

Thanks for fighting so relentlessly.

m

an average patriot said...

You have to hope the Judge has not been bought off. This is Mexico!

Border Explorer said...

Chani, the more I think about this, the more truth I see in your comment.

Matt, feels good to have you fighting beside me!

Jim: Oooh, good point! Actually this is a new judge, different from the 4 year-stall judge. This gives some hope. But, geesh, were I her, I'd fear for my life. She could be assassinated in a milisecond, and I doubt anyone'd hesitate. Children have died and elderly have been abducted and tortured. If the Lomas residences leave their homes unattended for a few hours, the home gets bulldozed. It is brutal.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'll pray.

Dusty said...

Please update us and I will put this one and your update on Sirens Chronicles.

The poor always takes it in the shorts..doesn't matter which country they are in..the poor always get the short end of the stick.

Dusty said...

And I just said a prayer for them..and will continue to do so until I hear from you on the results of the meeting.

Border Explorer said...

Thank you, Ruth.

Thank you, Dusty. The meeting is tomorrow night. That is, ironically, Good Friday--the day Christians remember Jesus' death on the cross.

As you say: the poor always "take it"--doesn't matter what country or what historical era.

I sooooo appreciate people who hang out here--because you all are so compassionate and caring about the poor.