Friday, May 29, 2009

Sleeping in a Riparian

Just when I think I know everything (haha) I discover some basic truth about which I knew absolutely nothing. On our recent trip Across the Great Divide and Back we camped in a riparian on the first night.Mr. B.E. took this one of me at our first site: a carry-in, primitive setting. After we were set up, he gave me a beer and watched me relax.


This drawing taught me what a riparian is: a river flowing through a desert. Birds use the river as a migratory path. (They are not stupid.) The little schematic diagram of the Western Hemisphere on the left displays a few such riparian paths.





Does this photo make the schematic drawing come to life?


And it was evening....the first day.

10 comments:

Dusty said...

I wish I could get the Ball n' Chain to explore our country. This is great and I too learned something. Thanks B.E.! ;)

HelenWheels said...

I didn't know what a riparian is, and I live in the desert!! Thanks, that is awesome.

afeatheradrift said...

Some nice photos. I was beginning to wonder where you were! lol

Carol said...

Beautiful!

I didn't know about riparians, either.

I feel relaxed just looking at the photos.

Randal Graves said...

You should get your own National Geographic special. ;-)

Libby said...

Wow, beautiful pictures... I got to see a little of this driving to Santa Fe last summer for a 2-day and following the path of the Rio Grande. It is a striking contrast.

Border Explorer said...

Hi Friends! I'm glad to be back here on Blogger...and chatting with you all again in the comments section. Thanks for paying me a visit; I'm still making the rounds of my blogroll, getting caught up. Talk to you again soon, I hope.

P.S. And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who did not know what a riparian is.

Jan said...

Wow. I'd never heard of a "riparian" before. Thanks.

Fran said...

See you are smart as a bird too- hanging out in riparian zones.

Looks like a nice retreat.

Freida Bee, MD said...

Beautiful pics! Admitted riparian ignorance here, too. Thanks for sneaking in the learnin'.