Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I can't believe we did this on our summer vacation, Part 3

On our return to Iowa, we camped in a riparian (Part 1), at the Grand Canyon (Part 2), and...even better than that, we tent camped at the Fisher Monuments in a Federal Land Reserve primitive site in Southwest Utah. The landscape reminded me of the stage background if the senior class play at a small country high school was a western:


The northern boundary of our little allotted tent plot was the shore of the Colorado River!

When the sun lowered, we took off into the warm desert and explored the monuments...up close and personal:



They were rather humanoid in appearance and amazingly otherworldly:

This is my current laptop screensaver. I still can't believe we were here. (Actually, the campground had a pit toilet, so it wasn't too primitive.) Mr. B.E. referred to the tree as "The Hanging Tree."


We watched the moonrise over the ridge. There was a fairly strong windstorm that night, but we were snug and safe in our tent.

This was my happiest camping experience on the trip, so I wanted to share it. Stop on over and visit us and I'll show you (ahem) a few other photos from this Utah site.

17 comments:

Carol said...

Beautiful scenes. I can understand why this camping place would be your favorite.

One Fly said...

Good for you guys and great pictures.

Fran said...

Bea-uuuu-t-ful

Love the moonrise shot!

Randal Graves said...

Absolutely wonderful shots. Hope you guys had plenty of water!

an average patriot said...

Gorgeous Billie that is beautiful. Glad you got to see it and are having a ball.

Jan said...

Such beauty! So glad you posted photographs.

Dianne said...

I'm caught up now

wonderful photos

Beach Bum said...

Totally awesome pictures of a magical place.

Dada said...

B.E. Seeing as how public lands are for grazing cattle, are you SURE that was the moon rising on the ridge above you and not a BLM (or cattle rancher's) spotlight?

Glad you made it through your very risky camping escapades back to the safety of "civilization!"

okjimm said...

nice photos. You sure you didn't take them in Ioway

D.K. Raed said...

love the pics! those are my favorite kinds of places to camp. those humanoid formations would be very eerie at night!

but BE, are you SURE it's SW UT? I don't recognize Fisher Mtns as being around here. You mention the Colorado, so maybe it is SE UT, like around Moab? or anywhere around Lake Powell/Glen Cyn?

QuakerDave said...

Great shots. And, as this is the 23rd, FB says I should wish you a happy birthday.

So, happy birthday.

Spadoman said...

Stopped by to announce I was home from my journey. I'll have to come back, there is a lot to read. Great pics of Utah. I'll be going through there with Grandkids in July and visiting the North rim of the Grand Canyon on our way to sunny California.

Peace.

Border Explorer said...

Thanks for all the nice comments. Important notice: D.K. is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I MEANT TO SAY SOUTHEAST UTAH. I was near Moab.

Dyslexia strikes every 24 seconds! (ha ha)

D.K. Raed said...

re: "Dyslexia strikes every 24 seconds!" .... and I am always right (hahaha)!!!

Missy Francis said...

This is like visual poetry; very nice.

Diane said...

Wow! This is great!