Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Eureka! We discovered an affordable spa!




Border exploring paid off in spades last week when Mr. B.E. and I drove into Truth or Consequences, NM for an overnight at Riverbend Hotsprings. The town sits upon a geothermal aquifer from which ten spas and mineral bath houses draw wonderful, naturally heated mineral water for the kind of baths that the Greek Archimedes would have given his toga for. After some assiduous internet research, we chose Riverbend because of its gem of a location: situated on the bank of the Rio Grande River, at the edge of town.

We arrived earlier than expected, but the hospitable folk at Riverbend said, "Your room is already made up for you!" So we wasted no time in settling ourselves in for a soak in the soothing waters. Five of the eight baths are "public," so we met interesting people and had some delightful conversations with folks from around the country, as well as with some locals. All the bathing you care to indulge in is included in the fee of overnight accommodations at Riverbend. Since we don't like to go out to eat, we opted for an upgraded unit with a complete kitchen. If you have a good heart, read on for the pricetag: All this cost us only $75 dollars, including tax. And had we brought cash along, we could have gotten a $5 discount from that.


We spent a lot of time in the water. Was it our imaginations, or did the minerals make our bodies more buoyant than normal? We both noticed it. The weather was absolutely perfect with Southwest blue skies and cool temps to cool us off when we took a break from the waters.


The stars were wonderful above us at night! And in the chill of the next morning, the steam from the pools beaconed us into their mysterious mists.


Because we were celebrating our 15th anniversary, we indulged for an hour in one of the "private" baths. Clothing is optional in these areas, but that is all I will say on that subject. The photo shows the cascading waters of the bath we selected. Sitting under the splashing waterfall provided a free water massage.

The grounds were immaculate. We were thrilled with our mini-vacation. I could go on and on, but, since other people's vacation slide shows can grind on too long, I will conclude.

But I can't wait to go back.

Here's a glimpse of the private bath we enjoyed that morning:

video

12 comments:

Carol said...

Happy Anniversary!

I love hot springs. Doing nothing in the hot water gives such a womb-like experience that deep relaxation is unavoidable.

Thanks for sharing the beauty of Riverbend Hotsprings - I can almost feel it.

okjimm said...

Wowsers... that sounds like a great time !!!

Dada said...

Thanks Billie for this great review. It's nice to have Iowans direct us natives to new local areas of interest! (Belated 'happy anniversary' BTW. BLTN [better late than never])

Jan said...

What fun!!

Dave Dubya said...

Ooohhhh, as Tina Fey says, "I want to go to there."

Congrats on the anniversary.

Suzan said...

What a lovely evocation of a well-deserved anniversary getaway.

I am putting that beautiful spa on my wish list.

Thanks for sharing.

S
__________

TomCat said...

Happy anniversary Billie!

I have bathed in the hot springs at T or C. You are right. The minerals in the water give it a higher specific gravity making you more buoyant, just as you are more buoyant in salt water than in fresh.

Beautiful pics!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

My aunt used to live in T or C . . . but I was so young when I visited her there that I didn't even know the town had hot springs. (Yes, I know now that Hot Springs was the original name.) I'm glad you had a wonderful time.

Border Explorer said...

Gracias a todos y todas for your greetings and notes!

Carol, what you said about womb-like really resounded deep within! That must be it! And TomCat--it is great to hear that science affirms what we experienced. Dada--you know that New Mexico is the best! Welcome Suzan! And everyone else: I owe you a visit to your blog!!! Thanks for stopping by here. Do put Riverside Hot Springs on your bucket list.

Spadoman said...

I was sitting in those hot pools Sunday afternoon when I got back to T or C from Las Cruces. This is one of the best spas in town. So now I don't have to write my story. When I get to the part about the hot springs, I'll just refer them here. Great job.
I'm going to try to get back to T or C in early April for another week or so, this time with my motorcycle in tow.

Peace.

Blue2 said...

I recognized the pics as soon as I hit your page...I spent an awesome weekend at Riverbend a couple of years ago. Absolutely peaceful soaking in the springs overlooking the river. Your pics brought back great memories!

TomCat said...

Billie, of course science affirms your experience. If it did not, you'd be a Republican.