Monday, August 9, 2010

Archbishop Desmond Tutu ~on faith and politics


Frequently when they attacked me for being involved in politics, I used to say, I wish I knew which Bible they were reading!
Because the Bible I read was quite clear: God revealed God to the children of Israel, not in a sanctuary, but by carrying out a political act – freeing a bunch of slaves.
Nothing could be more political. And yet it was also deeply religious.
They then realized that the God who does this kind of thing must be a God who cares, who is biased in favor of the weak, the oppressed, the marginalized.
Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
in an interview in Publishers Weekly, 12/15/03

1 comment:

Jan said...

I always like Tutu's words. Thanks, Billie.

I keep thinking of how long some people have toured your blog. . . .