Friday, September 24, 2010

New god on my horizon: Stephen Colbert



With these words he spoke today--as seen in the vid clip above--to the U.S. House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International law meeting entitled "Protecting America's Harvest," Stephen Colbert enshrined himself indelibly in my heart.


I'm now a firmly entrenched member of the Colbert nation. Or maybe I always was and just didn't know he and I were on the same team.
I'm anchoring his border.

loose transcription from Huffington Post

[Representative Judy Chu (D-CA)] asks Colbert why, of all the issues he could talk about, or bring attention to, he decided to get involved in this issue. Colbert, for the first time today, drops out of character.
"I like talking about people who don't have any power...I feel the need to speak for those who can't speak for themselves....We ask them to come and work, and then we ask them to leave again. They suffer, and have no rights."
He also quotes Matthew 25:40: "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"
That would seem to be a good place to leave this, and after summing up, Zoe Lofgren adjourns the meeting.
Readers of this blog probably have picked up that Matthew 25 motivates the lifestyle I've chosen. But, honestly, I am not sure that if I were seated before the House that I'd be self-aware enough to mention that.
It is better not to get me started on Matthew 25. I have a lot to say about it.
I'm grateful that Colbert was speaking his characteristic "truthiness" for me...and my farmworker amigos...to Power today.

4 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I don't often comment but I do like reading your entries. Trust me when I tell you that I am sure you would have found your voice and espoused something that fit in, if not the actual verse itself, Matthew 25:40.

When I walk around any place, most of all my hometown, it is with those words at heart. Yeah, I may be agnostic, but all men are brothers and therefore it applies.

Not only is helping one other helping that person, it helps others down the line (paying forward) and it helps me, because it is a hopeful sign that there is more kindness in the world.

Border Explorer said...

Thanks from the bottom of my heart both for reading and for that beautiful, reassuring & empathic comment. Your commentary in the last paragraph is golden! Thanks again, Mark!

TomCat said...

Billie, I never knew of your spiritual connection to Matthew 25. How refreshing it is to know people who express their spirituality in care and inclusion, as opposed to those who preach their own piety in greed and bigotry.

Mauigirl said...

I was so impressed that Colbert is really stepping up to the plate on the migrant worker issue. I too am a fan and really applaud his efforts!