Thursday, October 21, 2010

Love Your Body: I'm just "Too Big for My Skin"


Yesterday was the NOW Foundation's 13th annual Love Your Body Day. It's message: to love yourself and eliminate dangerously unrealistic standards of beauty-- an urgent, relevant and inspiring to women and girls everywhere.
Eighty percent of women are dissatisfied with their appearance, and a startling 49 percent of 3 to 6 year old girls worry about being fat. By the fourth grade, more than 80 percent of girls have tried a fad diet. Research has demonstrated that after watching TV and reading magazines women feel worse about themselves than before they started.
NOW chapters, sororities, high school clubs and women's advocates everywhere avow that women are beautiful as we are, no Photoshop or unhealthy products required.
We are worth so much more than a society that consistently tells women and girls they are worth less. No woman or girl deserves to feel ashamed of her appearance. To the many who do, NOW Foundation urges you to love yourself as you are. Having nearly lost my life to anorexia as a high school student, I know how difficult this can be. But I also know:
Loving yourself gives you the power to make the world a better place.
--Statement of NOW Action Vice President Erin Matson (edited slightly, original HERE)
It is the perfect opportunity to introduce you to poet Desdamona, whom I saw last month perform her important work: Too Big for My Skin


WOMEN: Don't miss this vid!!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Beautiful video!

Coincidentally, my yesterday's post is somewhat related, even though I mostly focused on the "feet" part of the body.

Do you have a pair of striped socks, B.E.? If so, it would be fun to have you flaunt your beautiful, striped-socked feet as a couple of other bloggers and I have done. :-)

BTW, I, too, was once a practicing anorexic. I'm glad that you pulled through anorexia to live this beautiful life that you have crated!

xo

Carol said...

Um, er, that was supposed to be "created". :-)

Border Explorer said...

Must get those striped socks..actually I was intending to learn how to knit them myself a couple years ago and got sidetracked. Now perhaps...Actually, my feet are horribly ugly and I'll have to get Desdamona to write a poem to help me accept my feet!!

I haven't had to struggle with an eating disorder myself, but have walked along with several people who have so I know it's horribly tough to emerge from. The body of this post came from NOW Action vice-president Erin Madsen. Blessings on you, my beautiful friend, now more beautiful in my eyes.

Carol said...

B.E.,

I was going to write you a poem about your feet (although I'm not Desdamona), but it just didn't materialize.

I have given massage to thousands of feet, from those of babies to those of 90-year-olds to those of people in hospice dying of AIDS whose feet had things on them that I have never seen anywhere else. And not ONCE have I seen an ugly foot! I would love to hear the stories that your feet would tell if only they could. They have carried you places so that you could do the marvelous work that you do!

Hooray for your beautiful feet who have helped you help our world!!!

a211423 said...

From one who has struggled since childhood with body image called dysmorphia. Being told repeatably as a child that I was fat and unappealing left a horrible stamp on me. I think the best thing we can do is teach our children to love themselves no matter what their appearance is.

Border Explorer said...

Carol, you are so right! I'm really grateful to my feet because they WORK; I can walk! And I've walked in amazing, remote places, seen things I'm so grateful to have seen. A grade school classmate was a polio survivor. I've never forgotten how he had to struggle to walk with crutches. A very important lesson. [& thanks for the thought, btw, about the poem!! :-)]

a211423, I'm really sad to learn of the treatment you received as a child because it had to be a challenge to overcome those early messages. Can you hear my "AMEN" to your last sentence? We are all so much more than what we look like. Society curses women, making them measure up against some arbitrary standard of beauty. Not good. Well worth watching:
YouTube video Katie Makkai (Note: strong language). Love to you, dear one.

a211423 said...

Thank you for sharing the video Billie. Nothing can be added to the pain she speaks of about never being able to be what others want and seeking approval. It made me cry, but not in a bad way. I could see myself in so many ways. I don't think I have ever been able to over come the feelings of inadequacy, but I try.

Blessings to you for your sensitivity and empathy.