Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tomorrow: "Life And Death On The Border" premieres on Current TV



Current TV's “Vanguard” is airing a new three-week mini-season about issues surrounding the Mexican border, particularly on U.S. immigration and illegal drugs, entitled "War on the Border."

The premiere episode, "Life And Death On The Border" airs tomorrow, Monday, November 15 at 9/8c on Current TV. In it Vanguard correspondent Christof Putzel travels to the U.S./Mexico border to investigate unauthorized immigration from a first-hand perspective.

He meets with "coyotes," the hired smugglers who cross migrants without authorization in to the U.S. for a fee. In the process Putzel reportedly learns the methods immigrants use to evade border patrol and the dangers they face on the journey. Arrest and deportation are inherent risks, but the lack of water and scorching temperatures of the desert crossing are far more deadly, as regular readers of this blog are aware.

Those migrants who do make it safely across the border face tightening immigration laws and an increasingly hostile public. Putzel ultimately crosses the border with a migrant and coyote.

The trailer above is a preview of the first night. For more info, here's a link to the show's internet site:
http://current.com/shows/vanguard/92781467_life-and-death-on-the-border-vanguard-premiere.htm

Adam Yamaguchi and Putzel reportedly have some incredible stories to share the next three weeks. I'm curious to catch the tone of this show. Will it exploit the border situation? [Entitling the series "War on the Border" raises the prospect of sensationalization from my perspective.]

But I'm on the road currently, headed to the border myself. I don't watch much television at all even under normal conditions, so I'm not an authority on this and can't take questions. I'm not even sure I'll be able to see the show myself. If you see this program or others in the series, let me know what you thought of it.

4 comments:

an average patriot said...

I was watching the preview yesterday and they made it look as bad as it is. It looked like war and I don't know who was flying those helicopters but it appeared to be us. I hope to hell they take this seriously because this is here and now.

Big Mark 243 said...

Unfortunately, I don't have CurrenTV on my cable subscription in Nebraska, but on DirecTV, I did and they do an outstanding job with the stories they tell. No sensationlism here, this is going to be a series that gets to some tough topics and be very well done. Have no fear.

Bigger problem. Limited viewers. Not a lot of folks know about the network and even fewer want to have their thoughts provoked in such a matter. Tell you wives and your kids and husbands too!! It will be good viewing and you won't regret the job they do on the subject.

Border Explorer said...

Jim, yes--it is bad. So much death. Really, I think the message is still not really understood by the U.S. public.

Mark: Wow, thanks for the recommendation! I wish I could see this show. I'll be in El Paso tomorrow and will check to see if we get that channel on our cable there. I sure appreciate your input.

Carol said...

Thanks for this video, Billie. I watched quite a few of the stories and found them to be very touching, demonstrating the sacrifice that people make in order to create a better life for their families.

I won't be able to watch the show, so I hope some of it comes out on DVD.

I know that most of the people in the U.S. who have issues with immigrants coming here would also cross any border in order to provide for those they love. I guess it can be difficult for many of us to put ourselves in the shoes of others.