Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday Capirotada

I like the Latino take on Lent.

When visiting our favorite Mexican grocery today, I noticed a sign on the bakery announcing "Toasted bread for Capirotada" was available. That today is Ash Wednesday coupled with knowing the Latino (heck--the universal) penchant for special foods connoting special times, I looked this up when I arrived home and learned that Capirotada is a sort of bread pudding that is traditionally eaten during Lent.

Border exploring--mmm, delicious!

Here's a recipe from Cooking Light 2002:

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4  cups  packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/4  cups  water
  • 2  (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
  • 4 1/2  cups  (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
  • 1/4  cup  golden raisins
  • 1/4  cup  slivered almonds, toasted
  • 2  tablespoons  butter, cut into small pieces
  • Cooking spray
  • 3/4  cup  (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preparation

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks.
Combine bread, raisins, almonds, and butter in a large bowl. Drizzle with warm sugar syrup, tossing gently to coat. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with cheese. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
313 (27% from fat)
Fat:
9.3g (sat 4.4g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:
5.8g
Carbohydrate:
52.6g
Fiber:
1.4g
Cholesterol:
19mg
Iron:
1.6mg
Sodium:
289mg
Calcium:
140mg
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002

4 comments:

Libby said...

You know, I had guests try to explain this to me a couple of times, in the context of wanting to make it, and I never quite "got" it. We also never had it as we never had all the ingredients on hand. Now that I finally know, I will have to give it a try.

Sherry said...

What a interesting sounding recipe. I gotta try this. The cheese intrigues me. Otherwise I'd put it down as a bread pudding. Not with the cheese though. Thanks BE and thinking of you in the warmth! next year! lol

Border Explorer said...

Libby, I totally know what you mean about not having all the ingredients on hand at any one time! But there's nothing stopping you now :).

Sherry, this recipe--which I liked because it was from Cooking light--calls for cubed French bread which is very much like bread pudding I'm used to [minus the cheese, as you note]. So I'm not sure how it relates to traditional Capirotada which seems to use toasted bread, the kind the Mexican bakery was selling. But a Twitter friend told me that this recipe looked like one her mother used to make. Anyway, I'm learning about this as I go...Thanks for your visit. Glad to swap you back a recipe for all the good ones you've shared over the years. :)

Dava Castillo said...

I agree with Sherry. At first it sounded like bread pudding. This would an interesting recipe to try. I never heard of it before.

Using water instead of cream or milk definitely makes it "light." I shall try it for my family.

Thanks Billie ! : )