Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A mission of love by guest blogger Anna Lucas

Anna Lucas: Honduras-January 2011
Childless myself, I'm particularly fond of my nieces and nephews--each for different reasons. Because I was present for Anna's birth, I was honored to be her godmother, and we had a special relationship throughout her girlhood. Now I proudly share her account of how she spent some of her Christmas vacation from the University of Iowa:




January 13th. I arrived home from a 10-day trip to Honduras as a member of the 2011 Sister Water Mission Team. Through this life-changing experience I witnessed tragedy and beauty, hardships and triumphs, people coming together and then being separated again. I witnessed the spoken  language barrier, but even more I realized the nonverbal language breakthrough. I witnessed strangers becoming dear friends; and people separated by borders, becoming family. I saw joy, love and eloquence: all offset by the nearby pain, sadness, and heartache.
Coworkers cutting a water path through the timber.
Our team of twenty left with the mission of water, but soon we realized that our mission encompassed so much more. We spent our days working along with or along side Hondurans in the villages of Cosire and Cataulaca. We spent nights in companionship with our team and our Honduran neighbors. Together we cooked, played cards, soccer and dice; we danced, and even did yoga! 
Everywhere we voyaged we were greeted with open arms and were shown appreciation for our contribution to the project. In collaboration with Catholic Relief Services, and a local offspring organization, COCEPRADII, this project will make clean water accessible to nearly 800 families, spanning the range of seven rural villages.


All families who will benefit from this project have been equally responsible in their monetary and physical contributions. They are each required to give three-hundred U.S. dollars, in addition to the grueling labor they must provide in the trenches themselves. 
Two of Anna's best worker-friends show the labor in trench digging.
The collaboration and organization of the Hondurans was inspiring to our team, as was the courage which was required in undertaking a project of this magnitude. Although what was perhaps the most inspiring was to witness those who seemingly have very little, give in incredible abundance, from our kind neighbors who left their doors open all night in case we needed to use the restroom, to the numerous meals that were given to us out of gratitude. 
We were shown generosity from the day we arrived until the day we departed. This spirit of generosity is something that we all can carry with us. I witnessed first-hand on this trip that it isn’t what is given, but rather, how it is given.

The people of Honduras taught me to treasure companionship. They not only showed me a reality that I’ve never seen, but they invited me to share it with them. They exemplified the beauty of family; in fact, they exemplified beauty in every sense of the word. They showed me what really matters, and what doesn’t matter at all. They made me feel appreciative for all I’ve been blessed with. Most of all, the people of Honduras showed me God. After all, God is love.



1 comment:

John (Juan) Donaghy said...

Great reflection, Anna. It was great to be there with you for a few days.