In a letter to Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) and other senators who had requested that DHS consider deferring the removal of all DREAM Act eligible students, DHS announced that it would not categorically defer removal. However, it said that persons who were not high priority targets for removal would have the opportunity to request prosecutorial discretion on a case by case basis. Low priority cases include
- persons who are not criminals and have been in the country since childhood,
- have strong community ties,
- are veterans or relatives of persons in the armed services,
- are caregivers,
- have serious health issues,
- are victims of crime or otherwise have a strong basis for remaining in the United States.
SOURCE: American Immigration Council